Nipple pain

cait

Reaction score
Baby is only 9 days old so I know it is a bit soon to expect my nipples to have toughened up, but it is getting almost unbearable now.

Both nipples have raw scabby tips and every time she latches on I scream in pain. They were starting to get better about day 5 or 6 but she has now started feeding excessively - sometimes 5 or 6 times with only half hour spaces, before she takes a big nap. She feeds between 10 and 30 mins each time. I feel like my nipples will never have time to heal when we're feeding this much and it's getting me really distressed. I hate that seeing her smack her lips makes me wince or cry in advance of a feed.

I think the latch is ok as I've had some help from sister and midwife, but then again it could probably be better. She's definitely getting milk as there's plenty of dirty and wet nappies. But the frequency is tough going, not for lack of sleep but just the extreme pain.

Can anyone help?

Poor you!

It certainly shouldn't hurt to BF and although when tiny a babies' mouth can be too small to get a really good latch, it does sound like a latch problem. Or, it's possible your baby could have a tongue tie if this hasn't been checked for.

Can you get to a BF group for some advice and support? There are quite a few NHS ones, but something like La Leche League is likely to be able to offer the most experienced advice.

I was getting alot of nipple pain at around 4 days, but since my milk came in it's eased off - it only hurts when she initially latches on. Is her mouth taking in a big mouthful of boob?

x

My nipples felt like they were falling off for the first 3 weeks of BF'ing, I have larger breasts/nipples and found little one was occasionally lazy and not taking enough of the area around my nipple. She's 5 weeks old now and it still hurts when she latches on but it passes after a couple of sucks.
I was told to get Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream, its really good for feeding and you dont have to remove it before baby feeds.
Sorry I dont have any real advice, I'm new to this too and getting over teething problems myself - Hope it gets better for you soon x

I know exactly how u feel! My nipples werecracked, bleeding and sore beyond belief! I dreaded feeding time, my toes used to curl when she first latched. I had a really deep crack on right nipple, that at 3 weeks was still there, I started to let air get to nipples after each feed, 10 mins or so, then put lansinoh on, within a week they were healed, lo is now 5 weeks and feeding is great, hope it gets better for u xxx

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Try and use nipple cream whenever you can, in all breaks between feeding. Also, make sure LO has a good mouthful of breast, so that her chin bone has contact with your breast, which is how they get the milk out!

It will get better, I promise!

Thanks guys - I have Lanisoh and have been using it loads so that helps a bit. But when she is on and off for four hours on the trot i feel like all the healing is eradicated.
It doesn't hurt as much when she is on but the latch is so painful, and sometimes she comes on and off a few times before she settles. She is sooo quick to get on that I can only get so much nipple in - my nipples are huge but I try to get some areloa in.

Is it normal for a baby to feed as much as she is or could some of it just be comfort? I am fairly sure she gets plenty of milk when on (and I always let her come off naturally) so find it strange she can be so hungry so soon. Could I pacify her with a dummy between feeds or is that a bad idea?

The amount she's feeding is normal and giving a dummy now could interfere with latch and supply. Wait till after 6-8 weeks and see how you feel then.

Breastfeeding is about nurturing and comforting as well as feeding though. It's up to you if you want to 'allow' this.

Thanks guys - I have Lanisoh and have been using it loads so that helps a bit. But when she is on and off for four hours on the trot i feel like all the healing is eradicated.
It doesn't hurt as much when she is on but the latch is so painful, and sometimes she comes on and off a few times before she settles. She is sooo quick to get on that I can only get so much nipple in - my nipples are huge but I try to get some areloa in.

Is it normal for a baby to feed as much as she is or could some of it just be comfort? I am fairly sure she gets plenty of milk when on (and I always let her come off naturally) so find it strange she can be so hungry so soon. Could I pacify her with a dummy between feeds or is that a bad idea?
I went through the same. A lot of what we think is feeding is your LO establishing the milk supply. The more LO suckles, the more your body will respond by producing the necessary milk!

I know it's tiring and painful, but it gets better quickly and you'll be surprised how resistant your nipples get! Before you know it, LO will be feeding at regular, 2-hour-ish intervals, maybe longer:D

thanks ladies. I really don't want to resort to using a dummy or shields but the pain is shocking. hopefully it will ease soon, we'll keep trying to perfect the latch.
had a good feed just now off both breasts (with a bath in between) so hopefully won't be needing another in half an hour like last night :( even two hours break would be great for a bit of healing. am lanisoh'd up and the boobs are roaming free for now!

Stick with it Cait, it does get better, I'm only a week or so ahead of you and already it's better and less painful. This time 2 weeks ago I was in the same position as you and so close to giving up as I couldn't handle the pain. I bought nipple shields but decided to try and not use them as everyone kept telling me how bad they could be. LO is now just over 3 weeks and I only have soreness when he initially latches on and I'm putting that down to him having a tiny mouth. I try to adjust his latch whilst he's on by pulling his bottom lip down a bit and this seems to work. Stick with it. Lx

As PP have said, STICK WITH IT! It is COMPLETELY normal for your nipples to hurt/ache for weeks! I was really concerned because everyone kept saying "breastfeeding should not hurt" but that is complete BS - at the beginning, your poor nipples aren't used to baby feeding and so they hurt. Things WILL get better. Use Lanolin. Know that you're not alone - I had sore nipples for at least the first month and now they've toughened up and breastfeeding is really enjoyable. I admit that it wasn't so much at the beginning. :hugs: You are doing an amazing thing!

Thanks so much for the support folks, really means hte world. Had a better night last night - feeds were more spaced out and latch was more successful. Still sore this morning but not in such despair. Onward and upward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->