Nipple Shields!

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi ladies! My cousin's wife was round at mine the other week and was breastfeeding, and using nipple shields. She highly reccomended them and I didn't ask her at the time, but can you use this from day one? Like from the first time you breastfeed? Or do you have to introduce them later on? Just wondering, as I'm starting to pack my hospital bag and don't know whether to put them in or not! Any help would be great!! :cloud9:

i have no idea, i never used them - i always thought they were something you used if you needed to iykwim, rather than planned to - but i could be totally wrong

Not sure about when to start using them, but I to have had them recommended to me by 2 separate people, saying they are good to use until your nipples have hardened/got used to baby. So I am considering using them to start with, will keep an eye on this thread

I have been advised by quite a few people, one of whom is a breastfeeding adviser that these aren't really recommended unless you're really having trouble. I asked the same question but was told that really you're only meant to use them if it's a very last resort to keep BFing and not just because as it can be hard to get baby to just take the breast again without them xx

ETA: If you want to know more then maybe post in the breastfeeding section here, or drop MervsMum a message as she is very knowledgable about this kind of thing :)

the reason my cousin's wife started using them was because her little boy had thrush in his mouth and they just kept passing it to each other mouth-boob-mouth.

I was given some in hospital as my LO wouldn't latch on, to me they're a godsend as otherwise would not be able to breastfeed, so the answer to your question is yes, although it can cause nipple confusion if you ever intend not to use them so may not be reccommended until say 6weeks when breast feeding is established.

the reason my cousin's wife started using them was because her little boy had thrush in his mouth and they just kept passing it to each other mouth-boob-mouth.

Ah, yeah I can see how that would be a problem. Sounds like they'd be fab for something like that :) xx

I have been advised by quite a few people, one of whom is a breastfeeding adviser that these aren't really recommended unless you're really having trouble. I asked the same question but was told that really you're only meant to use them if it's a very last resort to keep BFing and not just because as it can be hard to get baby to just take the breast again without them xx

ETA: If you want to know more then maybe post in the breastfeeding section here, or drop MervsMum a message as she is very knowledgable about this kind of thing :)

thanks for the tip!! :thumbup:

I would reccomend not to use them unless you need too.

I did use them after about 3 days as my nipples were so sore and tbh woulndt have been able to carry on without them. I used them for a month or so. Having said that, they restrict your milk supply and baby has to work twice as hard and doesnt get as much milk. I really struggled to get off them as the pain was so intense even using them....i really struggled with breastfeeding but then 18 months later i was crying my eyes out everynight for a month at the thought of stopping!

Cant wait to breastfeed again!!!

So id only get some if your struggling and are very sore. Boots sell them and so do mothercare and Avent.

Other bits i would reccommend are nipple shields that avent make, they arent used to feed on just use to catch drips when other side leaks. I used to then pour the drips - 4oz a day and use the milk to top up at night b4 bed time. They were ace. Also do ones to use as pads that wont stick to your sore boobies when not feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->