Nipple stimulation

MummyKP

Reaction score
Yesterday at a breast feeding antenatal class, the midwife mentioned massaging your boobs & it can bring labour on so to wait until 37 weeks. I've read a few times that nipple stimulation can help bring on labour and I'm interested to read a bit more on it. From researching online it's worked for some but not for others (as expected). Has anyone got any experience of this? Would you try it or do you think you're better off waiting to see if labour starts naturally?

After 37 week I did try this and I did notice that I had little contractions but it did not help me go into labor I read on it to and some women it works and some it doesn't I think it depends how ready your body is

I was doing nipple stimulation via my breast pump when I went into labor with my first. I was 4 days past due, 1cm dilated, fully effaced and had also had a sweep the day before and gone for a vigorous hike that morning, so it could have been a number of things.. I dont think it works unless your body is ready, but I know for me personally it seemed to legitimately trigger my labor :thumbup:

I tried it last time! I did 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off (if I remember right). It would bring on strong BH's (but then, none of my contractions hurt at all until well into established labor) and I would even get a start of a pattern going, but they'd fizzle out after about an hour or 2, every night for like 2 weeks. I think I just wasn't trying hard enough - I was in latent labor and dilated to a 4, I should have been able to go into labor at the drop of a hat. :haha:

Its boring, that's about the worst thing to say for it IMO. If I had tried to do it for longer per night, I think it might have led somewhere. I'm going to definitely try it again this time, but of course I have a few more weeks to wait!!

I tried it like crazy...NOTHING!! From what I read you need to do it on a very strict schedule - 15 minutes each nipple (one at a time) every couple of hours. I got zero effects from it. I read that it can bring on contractions as strong as those from pitocin! I was hopeful and sorely (literally) disappointed! lol

We were told by my OB that science backs nipple stimulation, orgasms, sex, and sperm for increasing prostaglandins which help bring on labour. I do not want to be induced so I'll be doing all of these.

i used my double pump with my last pregnancy at 38 weeks for about an hour on and off not really keeping track and my water broke in the middle of the night a few hours later. I was already dilated 3cm and ready to pop by then tho

Thanks for your experiences and opinions ladies. I think I'll see how it goes once I reach 38 weeks. I might try it, I'm not too sure. I guess there's no harm in trying, it'll either work for me or won't!

Iv always read this will only work if your body is ready for labour,and even then you have to do it alot apparently like 15mins on each nipple 3 times a day.
And even if you are ready to pop theres no guarantee it will work. Seems like alot of effort to me,think ill just stick to bouncing on my ball and sex lol!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->