Nipples hurting but not cracked or bleeding?

lisaf

Super tired new mom
Reaction score
So I got a late start to feeding off the breast directly. These past few days I've finally got my LO latching on almost all feeds (using a nipple shield otherwise and topping him up with pumped milk - I pump after each feed and freeze the extra or keep it on hand for the next feed).

Anyway, he's got a very strong suction/latch. The LC I saw said that if it hurts at first when he latches, but the pain fades after 10 seconds, then its not a bad latch. This is what I'm experiencing. But its REALLY painful... like someone is scraping my nipples across a cheese grater. I'm actually curling my toes and whimpering during these 10 seconds and I just cross my fingers that he'll stay latched on because doing this several times in a row really sucks.

I also experience twinges of nipple pain usually a few hours after I've fed him.. as if my nipples are both tensing up painfully. The water in the shower hitting them hurts too.
BUT, I'm not cracked or bleeding... I use Lansinoh after every feed.

Help? Is this normal? Something I should worry about? Will it get less painful?
Will those gel pads help?

Thanks!!

I don't have much advice, but I would definitely double check your latch. I know your HV said it's not that but if she's wrong it's only going to get worse. Also make sure you're holding baby close enough to you. Sometimes Matthew pulls away while still latched, holy crap that hurts!

This is probably normal pain - I explained it to friends once as 'scraping my boobs down a brick wall, then buffing them with a cheese grater' :haha: I know 'they' say it shouldn't hurt to BF, but it does for most people!! The pain for me lasted about 8 weeks, albiet got better every single day! Even now sometimes it hurts at the beginning. I would guess that it is just your nipples getting used to the abuse, but if it gets worse or you notice any other symptoms, get it checked by a doctor as thrush is common.

It will get better and you are doing brilliantly!! Congrats!!

hmm, after reading some descriptions, it sounds like it could be thrush? I don't want to have to throw out pumped milk if it is though...
any idea how to tell if it is thrush or just normal soreness? (I wouldn't rule out normal soreness though since LO has a really strong suck and I've felt his gums rub on my knuckle when I let him suck on that and I wouldnt' blame my poor nipple for being sore, lol!)

I may want to stick to pumping for now to minimize this or help distinguish between thrush and soreness?

I havent had thrush so can't advice - Nervous _1 will be able to help on that front!

I am pretty sure you can feed through thrush though, so no need to pump'n'dump. I would also keep going so not to confuse LO and reduce your supply.

Hope someone can help on the thrush issue.

Speak of the devil and she shall appear! :haha:

If you're getting pain way after a feed then it does sound like it could be thrush. Are you also insanely itchy? You can check LO's mouth for any white patches that don't easily scrape off (i.e. aren't milk). If there are some and you are itchy then get to the docs cos you do indeed have thrush! :hugs: Ask for Fluconazole for you, but be prepared to push for it as some docs don't like to give it to breastfeeding mums (don't worry it's totally safe :thumbup: ).

I'd get some Acidopholus too (from Holland & Barrett). It helps to get rid of thrush if you have it, and guard against it if you don't.

Oh, and you can absolutely feed through thrush! If I didn't, LO would have been on a bottle right from the start and I wouldn't be almost at my 6 month blinkie! :lol:

HTH! xx

My nipples didn't crack, they got bruised though. I think that I didn't feed ENTIRELY pain-free until around 8 weeks. It began just plain hurting, then it gradually became just the start of the feed, then less and less.

Now its just the let downs that are uncomfortable!

Newborns do have a very strong suck, its a reflex and it does get better! I bought Lansinoh but never really used it because my nips weren't cracked, but I really get what you mean about it being sore regardless.

I had exactly the same 2 weeks ago. No cracked or bleeding nipples but excruciating pain for a few seconds (although it felt like a life time!). The pain was so intense it often made me cry so I feel your pain :hugs: It gets better with time because I can hardly feel a thing when he latches on now. I just kept using Lansinoh before feeds to help with the friction and tried to air my nipples as much as poss between feeds. Seems to toughen them up a bit. Hope that helps x

Thanks girls!

Nervous - not itchy at all, but the pain is just worse each time I feed... its now very much a burning sensation and lasts for 10-15 minutes after I feed. I'm kind of paranoid to wait on this because its Friday and my doctor's office closes at noon (I have 3 hours to call in and see if they'll help me) and I don't want to be left hanging all weekend.
I just tried to peek inside LO's mouth and from what I could see, it all looked ok.

Should I call my doc anyway?

I would call anyway if your worried - they may be able to help. Good luck - I hope all works out for you!

thanks,
I called and am just waiting for a call back right now.

Well my doc called in a prescription for Diflucan for me. My pediatrician was supposed to call in a prescription for that nyastin (sp?) stuff for my LO but the pharmacy didn't get it.
The pediatrician said not to put the stuff in his mouth unless I see the white bumps/patches. He doesn't have those yet so I'll just bug the doctor when it happens I guess.

Today my nipples started looking white and flaky so I'm thinking we guessed right with the thrush?

Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone!

certainly sounds like it! :hugs: you poor thing, it's horrible! At least you got some drugs though :thumbup: Now that you have these flakes I'd take your meds, and give LO the Nystan too. Pointless curing you and holding off on treating your LO as he'll just give it back to you :wacko:

Oh! Glad you got iot sorted!! Hope it gets better for you soon :hugs:

they told me not to use the medicine for Daniel until I saw the white spots and then to rub the stuff on the spots... so thats why I haven't treated him yet (and that the prescription didn't get called in before the office closed)

If he doesn't have it yet, will exclusively expressing keep him from getting it?

they are wrong. Just because you can't see any white spots on him doesn't mean he doesn't have it yet. Plus if you're treated, then he shows signs he'll just give it straight back to you and you'll need treating again. By which time he'll have finished his meds and you'll give it back to him, he'll need more meds, you'll run out, etc etc etc. You'll just go round in circles.

Exclusively expressing won't help I'm afraid because the thrush can be present in the milk itself.

Hmmm, I was gonna post this morning myself about pain on latching (you're one step ahead again Lisa!). The latch has been checked by most of the North West's breastfeeding support so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I've begun to think it's just that I have sensitive nipples. There's no sign of thrush, and I've always had more than ten seconds (way more) of really really sharp pain. Enough to make me yell / cry, and since we've all given birth, that's fairly painful!
I also get a burnt and slightly achey feeling afterwards, and they're very painful if I touch them with anything, but no cracks now thankfully. And feeding is generally uncomfortable, it feels like someone is continually tweaking my nipple (which is like hearing someone drag their nails down a blackboard). She has a slight tongue tie, but only slight. She does manage to totally reshape my nipples, I'm not sure they will ever recover. The general consensus is that there is some physiological reason that might resolve with time, but honestly, the pain and discomfort is making me hate every second of every feed which isn't sustainable.
Could it be thrush? Or could it just be my and her physiology?
I feel your pain Lisa, really hope the meds work for you, seems like you've battled just about everything so far, well done for keeping it up. You seem to be getting more positive?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->