No appt until 12 weeks?!? Military/Spouses please weigh in!

Cewsbaby

Mom of 2 boys! Hoping for a 3rd
Reaction score
So today I had my blood work to confirm that yes I am pregnant and then I was told that I have to go to some class at the military hospital and that my fist appt wouldn't be until I am 12 weeks. My SIL is only 5 weeks ahead of me and she has had 2 appt already. Is this normal or is it a military thing. I am kinda lost as what I should do. I am going to try and get an off base referral due to the fact that the base is almost and hour and half away since our base doesn't have anything to do with pregnancy's since its so small.

Are you in the US? I am a military spouse and they gave me a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks, and it seemed pretty standard. With my first pregnancy, I went with civilian doctors, and I did not get my first ultrasound until around 20 weeks. Every military installation may be different, but my friend that is at a different base also had an ultrasound at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks.

I'm not a military spouse, but I am in the US, and they didn't see me until 12 weeks, either. I didn't even have an appointment where I got bloods taken or anything. I just called and told them I was pregnant, and they set up a 12 week appointment for me.

Ugh I'm a civilian but it's the same for me!! I'm 7+2 today and my first appointment isn't until August 25th... It feels like a lifetime away and so many bad things can happen before then.

I'm so stressed out about it now.

Non-military but int he US here. With my daughter, I had a booking appointment at 8 weeks where they just took my blood and family history, then an ultrasound and appointment at 12 weeks. I was told that's reasonably standard for people who are either first-timers and/or have no history of loss.

Since I now have a history of recurring loss, with this pregnancy I had an earlier scan and appointment and extra bloodwork. It varies practice to practice and doctor to doctor, but based on experiences from my friends and family members, it's reasonably common to not be seen until 8-12 weeks if you have no concerns, whether it be spotting, loss history, health issues. HTH!

I had 3 children at 2 different bases and I had initial appointment at 5 weeks, dating scan at 8 weeks then the normal 4 week intervals tapering to 2 weeks then 1 until delivery. Marine Corps with the first 2 and Army with the 3rd, all state side.

We are military, and our orientation (class you mentioned) is August 15th. She'll be 6 weeks by then. 12 weeks seems awfully far away, even for the military. They do work around their own schedule though, so it doesn't surprise me. I would honestly opt to get a private scan done civilian side. They are fairly cheap. I know I couldn't wait that long to make sure everything is in order! Good luck.

I may try and see an off base doctor but I am ok with not being seen until 12 weeks. Yes, I am stateside and right now we are stationed in Florida as is my SIL. She did have a miscarriage about 7 months ago so that might be why she has had those 2 scans. Even my mom said it was normal (she works high risk pregnancy's) so that made me a little calmer about it. Its only 6 weeks until my appt so I think I will be ok. If I have any spotting I will call them and set up an appt right away though.

I may try and see an off base doctor but I am ok with not being seen until 12 weeks. Yes, I am stateside and right now we are stationed in Florida as is my SIL. She did have a miscarriage about 7 months ago so that might be why she has had those 2 scans. Even my mom said it was normal (she works high risk pregnancy's) so that made me a little calmer about it. Its only 6 weeks until my appt so I think I will be ok. If I have any spotting I will call them and set up an appt right away though.

Did she have a dating scan because she told dr she wasn't sure when her lmp was? That's only reason for dating scan isn't it? I've had same experience. I've had a dating scan twice and heard heartbeat today. Otherwise I'd be waiting until 12 weeks. So if you had said you don't know your lmp you'd have gotten one.

Did she have a dating scan because she told dr she wasn't sure when her lmp was? That's only reason for dating scan isn't it? I've had same experience. I've had a dating scan twice and heard heartbeat today. Otherwise I'd be waiting until 12 weeks. So if you had said you don't know your lmp you'd have gotten one.

Lol, wish I had known that! But sadly I had just started tracking my periods because we have been trying for 6 years on and off (Deployments every 10 months he was home for 5 of them) so if we didnt get pregnant soon I was going back to try the clomid or maybe even IVF.

Non-military here, but the standard in my area is appointment with the intake nurse around 8 weeks to get history and for them to do blood work, then an optional scan at 12 weeks (to check for Downs) followed by your first official visit with the doc at around 12 weeks.

I think every base is different, because I told them I was certain of my LMP, as I have been tracking ovulation and everything. They gave me a pamphlet after having me do a pregnancy test in their office. The pamphlet was guidelines for their "9 visit pathway" and it said before that begins, they would have me in for a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks, followed by registration and blood work. Then a second visit at 12 weeks. We are Marine Corps, but it's a naval hospital, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
I really wouldn't be concerned though about having your first ultrasound at 12 weeks. The naval hospital here is huge, so they probably just have more resources to offer those 8 week appointments. And like you said, if you have spotting or anything you could always schedule one for reassurance.

Not military here but in the UK it's normal to have no appointments between the initial one to confirm the pregnancy and your booking appointment/scan at 10-12 weeks.

It does feel like forever though!

Thanks guys for all the input! My SIL say make an appt but my mom says its not necessary... I think I will go with my mom on this one. I can wait but I do tend to fret and get impatient!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->