No baby yet but a problem

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Brandyee1984, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Brandyee1984

Brandyee1984 Well-Known Member

So my fiance and I am talking about baby names, yes I know it is early we are still just ttc. Well ever freaking name I like he hates!!!! Everyone!!!!

I came up with a few and he said they sounded to black... As we both do not want them to be stereotyped

Zenia was a No
    Zannan was a NO
    Ivy NO
    Lucia NO
    Morgan NO
    Zelena NO
    Rayne was a maybe
    Sky was a maybe

and my favorite.........Zunami....BIG FAT NO WAY!!!!!!!I find it very artsy:growlmad:
    What the hell happens when we do get pregnant!!!!! He seriously suggested I name a boy Eric Junior!!NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And his other theory was that if we give our child a hippy it will get beat up! I wanted to smack him!

2. mommy2baby2

mommy2baby2 Pregnant with #4

I agree with your husband in this case. Some of them are pretty cute but if you don't want the poor child to risk stereotypes or possibly being made fun of I'd go with more common names.

What are some of his name choices? Maybe you could use Zunami as a middle name? That way, when he/she is older she can decide if she wants to go with the less common name?

I hear you on the Jr thing! My DH suggested that too but I'm not that in to his name (he has many odd names, middle names are technically common last names...). I had an ex boyfriend who was a 3rd generation, I always thought that was pretty cool. So it has it's perks if you love his name :)

3. Brandyee1984

The thing is he has no ideas just his name!!!! ERIC.. I get it we both dont want our child to have a name that is easily stereotyped but it is hard. Even at my work they stereotype a resume.

I love the name Zunami, or Ivy lucia! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

4. mrshuse8pound

mrshuse8pound Well-Known Member

I like "most" of the names you have however I can say having a VERY UNIQUE name myself *sigh* it's sometimes not worth it. I have not gone by my government issued birthname since I was 18 years old and it's not to ethnic, it's actually Arabic, but having to spell and pronounce your name to people 4/5 times a day gets old after age 12....and I honestly would've legally changed my name but I love my MOM too much and she loves my name so I could never.

What I suggest is giving your child a neutral name, one you can both agree on and then get "spicy" for the middle name. Then you can refer to the child by either or and when he/she gets old enough they can choose for themselves but at least aren't struggling through life with a name they find uncommon and uncomfortable..

Good luck. And I don't think ANY of those names sound too "black" either btw :)

5. mommy2baby2

mommy2baby2 Pregnant with #4

Lol yeah, he's going to need to come up with more options than Eric!

Admittingly, I've stereotyped just by seeing a persons name...It's horrible but that's how our society has become! In the end though it's what you are happiest with but think of the baby and what things may be like for him or her.

I have a friend that named her little girl the most stereotype/ethnic name and at 4 she's already treated different. Sucks how people have become

6. Brandyee1984

Exactly!!! It is in our nature!!! My name is Brandy and my mother is Czechoslovakian Jew and my father is Seminole and Black! I have a neutral name and I hate it!!!!

Okay so her just gave me a new one MIST.... I can live with that!!! and Zander if it is a boy.... He liked them...

7. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

hi hun yes i have to agree with sterio typing i myself have done it to. i think the new one picked is kinda better but i have a step sister named misty

8. ArticBaby

ArticBaby Stepmom&TTC#1

Love that name Zunami :icecream:

9. AJpeartree

AJpeartree Mom to my 8 mo old girl!

Naming is so tricky! My hubby wanted common names and I didn't at all. Finally we decided on a name we both love- how that happened I have NO CLUE!! :rofl: Good luck hun, you're bound to agree on one by the time your future baby is born :)

10. Brandyee1984

He is saying it sounds black!!!! It is a total hippy name!!!! Geez he agreed to marry a tee hugging, animal rights, vegetarian... What does he expect???

11. 2016

2016 Mummy and Preggo with #2!

We have also had many name "debates" with DH not liking any I liked...but somehow we have now come up with a fair list of ones we don't like. It seems your hubby is more in favour of something traditional so, as the other girls say, maybe save the spice for a middle name.
    x

12. stephwiggy

stephwiggy Well-Known Member

Hehehe

Look all i would say is dont stress especially now - once you get preggo - you will have 8 months to go off names - i know we did we had a definate list then not - then we lost grandad arthur and so we had a middle name - and he was Ryan Arthur till i saw him and he didnt look like a Ryan - and became Kieran Arthur.....

13. MrsLQ

MrsLQ 3 boys and a cat <3

We waited untill we saw our son we before we named him, we had a list of names but I believe when you see a child you can just 'tell', does that make me sound like a hippy.

I would say when choosing a child's names there are a few things to take into consideration.

Bullying: I like Zunami, but my 2nd thought was oooooooh sounds like Tsunami....not so good.

Initials: think about how the name will go with the the surname Thomas Wayne Andrew Timpson...is baaaaaaaad idea

Phrases: I grew up with 2 friends who had unfortunate naming....there was a girls who last name was Bannister....which is not too bad...BUT... her parents named her Honor....Honor Bannister (you can't help but laugh).
    There was also a boy who's surname was Hunt...perfectly fine unless your name is Issac.....Ooooops Issac Hunt.

Careers: Early on in my pregnancy someone said to me when you name your child imagine them as a musician/Poet, Politician and scientist...Does the name go with all these things.

Our Choice......I wanted Jonah or Naphtali (pronounced Nap.tar.lee) we went with Oliver in the end and I can not imagine him bing called anything else, his middle names are Jonah and Idris...... He is so beautiful and Unique he doesn't need a 'unique' name to prove it.

Don't get too stressed out by it all when he or she arrives....you will know who thay are andwhat to name them .....GOOD LUCK!!!

14. Kayleigh Lou

Kayleigh Lou Well-Known Member

I was supposed to be Stacey Louise Anne Gilbert. Thank god for Marillion and his song Kayleigh. I would have never forgiven my mother!!!

I love Ivy Lucia, sounds soooo tropical!! Push for that one lmao!!!