no doctors appointment??

caz81

Reaction score
I have just got my bfp and we phoned the doctors surgery to arrange an appointment to get it confirmed but they told us they won't do this, our hpt is enough and they will not see me until a midwives appointment in the middle of may! I feel a bit upset by this as am worried everythign will be ok etc and just wanted them to confirm the bfp but they won't! Has anyone else had this experience? Xx

If concerned just book a doctors appointment if the receptionist asks what its for tell them its confidential. I've found so many receptionists who think they are keepers of the doctors and must approve of the appointment before booking it.

I do know that it is quite common now to go straight thru to the midwife without seeing the doc and they take over the care unles syou are ill. Mine didnt confirm when i went said a HPT was enough, i was only tested when i went into hospital on emerengcy!

hi petal huge congrats!!! i got my :bfp:sunday and have just popped into docs to make appointment - didnt tell them what it was for as i doubt they'd have cracked a smile and i couldnt bear to be delflated! want to see doc to see what we do next also to discuss some prescrition meds i am on - if you want to see the doc just phone tomorrow and say you'd like an appointment xxx

I think it's standard now for them not to confirm. My Dr even said that the HPT's are 10x better than the one's they use anyway so there's no point! :rofl:

If you want to still see the Dr I agree with just calling the reception to make a general appointment. You can then make sure for definite that you have been referred to the midwife. Middle of May isn't that long to wait really......8 weeks is about right for your booking in.

Hope that all is well and congratulations! xx

I agree with 8 weeks not being that long. I have to wait until 12 before they see me. Peace of mind would be great!!!

Hey hun

I didn't tell my doctor what the appointment was about and she was fine about seeing me. She gave me lots of leaflets which included various numbers for my midwife including an emergency number for her which put my mind at rest a little. She weighed me and took my blood pressure but didn't do another test and unfortunately I think that's fairly common practice for GPs now as hpt's are so good. May also sounds about right for your first mw appointment, mine was between 8-10 weeks. I know it feels strange at first being pregnant and not having anyone medically confirm it for you, but you do get used to it :hugs:

Congratulations!

My doc doesn't book until 8-10 weeks along. I think that is quite standard.

thank you for all the messages, i feel a lot more reassured now and im feeling quite tempted to just book an appointment and not tell the receptionist what it is about!! xx

Hi Caz i just phoned the doctors for myself and said i jus found out i was pregnant and who do i book with, so shes booked me in with the midwife for 2 weeks time (think ill be about 7/8 weeks PG). In the meantime i have to get some leaflets from the reception.
Hope this helps x

Hey Caz, congrats btw! :happydance:

When I got my :bfp: I rang my doctor's to make an appointment and didnt tell them what I wanted to see the doc about. I got to see her a few days later and she didnt even take bloods or urine to do their own. After seeing the MW a couple of weeks later, I asked why the doctors dont confirm it and she said that the HPTs are so good these days that a positive result (especially the 5 positives that I had to show her lol!) were confirmation enough :)
Hope that helps! :hugs:

I just exactly the same this afternoon, I was told that HPT's are as reliable as anything they would use so I just need to drop by the surgery and give them my details and they will get a midwife to contact me within a couple weeks and then go from there.

Hee and there I was thinking I'd have to pee in a cup at the doctors.

I guess they don't bother any more seeing as HPT's are so good.

Dont get me wrong, you'll probably have to pee in a cup to check for proteins and sugars I think at your MW booking :D

Hi, I phoned the doctor today for the first time to see what to do next! I am about 6 and half weeks, and didn't know whether to book with a midwife or doctor.

The receptionist said I needed to see the doctor first, then he will refer me to a midwife. I have an appointment next tuesday. I'll be 7w3d.

Like you, I just want someone 'medical' to confirm this is all happening!!

Congratulations! xx

when i found out that i'm pregnant i had to phoned the surgery becuse in 5 days time i sould have a smear test so i want to know if I'm alowed to have it or not so during that phoned call they booked me for an appoitment with the doctor so this friday i will be around 6 weeks pregnant and i will be happy to see my doctor.

My doc gave me an appointment but they didnt confirm pregnancy, we just discussed options (as at first wasnt sure what to do about it) and she gave me a leaflet on pregnancy and booked me an appointment with mid-wife (which i've only just had)

So unfortunatly this seems completely normal! Don't worry, the mid-wife appointment will come round soon enough! (and even that is really boring! Lol)

My doctors surgery didnt confirm my first test either, i just made an appointment and didnt tell the receptionist what it was for and when i came in the doctor just said that the tests they use at the lab are sometimes less sensitive than the ones in the shops so the ones i did at home would be acurate. With this pregnancy i just bypassed the doctor altogether and made an appointment with the midwife, i took a sample with me just incase but she didnt want to test it again just saying 3 home tests were good enough. I think it depends on which area you are in and what the doctors protocol is xx

My experience was kind of the same in a different way- they wouldn't take my word that I'd had a positive test and I had to make a nurse's appointment to take another test.
Only then did they make a midwife's appointment, which wasn't until the middle of the 8th week.
It's quite frustrating early on, isn't it? No-one seems to invest too much in early pregnancy care.

I find that annoying too! just being kept in limbo until your mw appointment and your scan! It's 12 weeks of unknown isn't it - especially as I saw in another post about mw not even checking for heart beat at the booking appointment!

I think I'll go see the nurse practitioner at my surgery when I come back from hols (I'll be just over 6 weeks then) she's so nice!

Limbo- definitely!! I've spent sooo many hours looking up symptoms etc on the internet just for reassurance!

I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but my midwife didn't check for a heartbeat either. Which I think is a good thing in a way, especially as they're so difficult to find in the early days. I would have been tearing my hair out if she hadn't found anything.
I'm pretty much waiting for the postman every morning and get disappointed when he doesn't bring my scan letter... I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and haven't had that confirmed yet :-(

You should definitely go and talk to the nurse- she'll be able to tell you what to expect and what not to expect from the midwife team!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->