No HB on Doppler, feeling depressed

flamingpanda

Reaction score
So I had my second appointment with my midwife today and she said she'd have a try for the HB for me. She'd already warned me it was early and not to worry if she couldn't find it, and that all sounded reasonable then, but now I feel like crap. Was really hoping to hear something today as we're off on holiday next week and it would have been a load off my mind. We had an early loss last summer and I've been trying to ignore this pregnancy as much as possible until my scan and we had confirmation. But no, nothing. :( Now I'm going to spend my holiday worrying about our scan next Friday. I really wish I'd said no! :dohh: Anyone got any positive stories to help cheer me up?

Honestly, I'm surprised she tried, as it's clearly caused you to worry- most won't attempt it before 16 weeks and even them, some midwives won't use them. My midwife tried for the first time at 14 weeks and warned me she might not be able to find it- lo and behold she couldn't. I went back every week and it she didn't find it until I was 17 weeks. That's why I avoided buying a doppler myself.

I completely understand why you're worrying but I'm sure things are fine. I know it's easier said than done but try not to let it ruin your holiday.

If it's any consolation, I'm 27 weeks now and my boy still likes to hide from the doppler. Every time my MW uses it, he moves away after a few seconds x

With my last pregnancy I had anterior placenta and that made it really difficult to hear baby's hb even the midwives struggled when I was 20 weeks + try not to worry you still are quite early and it all depends on position of baby and placenta etc. enjoy your holiday and look forward to your scan :) xx

The Doppler needs to be pointing in the right spot with only millimetres in its margin of error. Then babies are wriggly. They'll wander off to spots you've already checked so you won't think to look there again. It can take up to half an hour for me to find my blob sometimes because of this x

They wont even try until 24w where i am. With my 1st it wss 16w but they upped it due to stress it causes mums when they couldnt find it at that point. I really wouldnt feel down about it.

I was just actually commenting on another post about this. I had my 11 week appt. yesterday and she said she would try but not to get discouraged if she couldn't find it. As 11 weeks is too early. 12-13 weeks is when the uterus rises above the pubic bone making it easier to hear. Anyways she tried and she couldn't find it. I didn't tell her that I have my own Doppler and have been listening to it since 9w2d. Sometimes maybe they don't take the time to really look. Not like we do when we have our own Dopplers. I know my doctor was super quick and I knew she wasn't even in the right place. Lol. Try not to worry. I'm sure you'll hear it next time :hugs:

They don't do it here until over 20 weeks.
I asked her to Atleast try at my 16 weeks appt and she found it but she did say that they don't usually look for it at 16 weeks anymore. X

The obstetrician tried the doppler on me yesterday for the first time and we heard it. Mind you, she knew exactly where bub was because we'd just been looking at him on the ultrasound seconds before. Let me stress, she had never used the doppler on me before this. She said she'd be using it for this appointment because she could now - as in, I'm further along. I wouldn't stress my love. Enjoy your holiday!

It is still very early days yet for hearing a heartbeat.
I remember the first time round my midwife said to me that she could try to find the heartbeat at 16 weeks for me but it was possible she might not be able to find it and said it was up to me as it could could anxiety if she didn't find it. I decided against it as I was anxious enough as it was.
It is very early days yet :hugs:

As everyone said it's still early days :)

It would be awful to go on holiday worried :( do you think you could get a prolivate scan to put you mind at rest?

Don't worry hun, it is very early and baby is so tiny and wriggly. I'm honestly surprised she tried to find it. I used to work in midwifery and the midwives would only try and find the HB that early if they had an ultrasound nearby, if they couldn't find the HB they would immediately do scan to reassure mum. It really is too early to be using a doppler.

It took a LONG time for the nurse to find my baby at 15 weeks! She was hiding way down on the right side. I had been listening to her on my doppler at home for awhile, but it would sometimes take me 30 minutes to find baby. Even now she isn't always easy to locate! Try not to worry and just relax (I know easier said than done).

We saw a HB at 7 weeks, but I think we are talking about two different dopplers here. Mine was a vaginal doppler in the hospital.

Try and relax sweetie. I had an attempt at finding my bean's heartbeat @ 8 weeks 5 days and my midwife didn't find it then either. I'm going in this Friday - 10 weeks 5 days to try and find it. (MW automatically told me not to worry and I was still antsy for a couple days anyways)
I'm high risk though and had an early scan at 7 weeks and 2 days and we saw baby's heartbeat then so I was able to calm myself with that knowledge.

I found mine at 14 weeks but was tricky. They hide well. Sure baby is doing great there just teeny still xx

It can be hard to find one on a Doppler at 12 weeks. I didn't find it consistently in till week 17. They don't offered ultrasounds when that happens? I would be worried too.

I absolutely feel for you! My midwife told me "oh it's early" and this and that but when she left I completely lost it. Like sobbing hysterically, snot all over my face, couldn't breathe. No matter what anyone told me about how it's too early, I didn't feel better until I finally heard baby at 13 weeks. I do not do ultrasound, so it was a long and very worrisome wait. BUT, since you asked for encouragement... At exactly 13 weeks when we heard the heartbeat it was strong and clear and loud and the greatest thing I have ever heard in the world. My husband just got me a doppler and I can find baby every time I try because now I know where the little stinker is hiding away. You will have your turn and when you do it will be all the sweeter because you know the wait and the heartache.

Thank you for the replies everyone. It did help, my apologies for not replying before we went away. We had our scan yesterday and everything is fine! Baby is wriggling about and after telling her we had a loss last summer she found the HB for us within seconds. I learnt my lesson and if we ever have another (I think we're done at 2!) then I won't say yes if they ask to listen so early!

Amazing work lovely girlie! I hope you guys had a great time away. :hugs:

(I think we'll be done at 2 too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back