NO MORE TEARS 'epi-no'

bletherer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or heard of this product before?
Was it your first or second delivery?
Its apparently a balloon you insert and expand gradually in order to stretch the perineal area (not the vagina) in time for birth.

Please share your experiences.

Perhaps you know someone who has used it.

I'm going to purchase one.

Just intrigued.

thanks

never heard of that before, sounds like a logical and good idea though xxx

It's had some fantastic reports from the likes of australia and canada.

Have read a few reviews online, but most seem to be first time mothers.

Sounds fun!!! If its stretching the perineal area then theoretically it's also stretching the vagina as that's part of it!!!

https://www.epi-no.co.uk/

click on link above to see more.

what do you all think?

Interesting.
wait...who blows up the balloon?

Interesting.

:rofl: lmao! It's done with a hand pump.

I actually have looked into this, before pregnancy in fact when I was studying health at college.

I decided against it. It stretches the opening of the vagina which includes the perineum and yes, this would help stop tearing. However it's the after effects that worry me. If you look at people who stretch their ears for example, they have to slowly stretch their ears over time to get those big gaping holes. When they decide to take the rings out of their ears, it can take a very very long time to go back or sometimes it doesn't at all. This would be the same in my opinion. If you stretch the vaginal opening over time then even before you give birth it's going to be quite loose and it would stay very stretched afterwards too. You'd have to put a hell of a lot of hard work and effort to get back into shape iykwim!

If you don't stretch down there, the skin will be torte and when the baby is crowning, you may tear or you may not. If you do tear or get cut then you get stitched up, your downstairs will swell due to the injury and that will cause you to heal up tight. If you don't tear then when your perineum stretches it will cause teeny tiny little cuts where the tissue is expanding rapidly. After birth, the body will see this as injury and then swell- causing you to heal up tight.

If you're already that big then it's no big deal for the skin and therefore wouldn't need to heal.

Also, if you've ever overstretched a muscle, when it heals it feels tight. If you've done dancing or gymnastics- you have to stretch regularly to keep supple.

Ok i've written an essay but that's my best way to describe my theory lol! Long term stretch stays stretched, short term stretch goes back to normal.

Hmmm interesting product !! I may stick with the perineal massage idea! got me some olive oil ready to try! CLAIRE I've never thought of that tho!! interesting perspective lol.

Interesting.

I actually have looked into this, before pregnancy in fact when I was studying health at college.

I decided against it. It stretches the opening of the vagina which includes the perineum and yes, this would help stop tearing. However it's the after effects that worry me. If you look at people who stretch their ears for example, they have to slowly stretch their ears over time to get those big gaping holes. When they decide to take the rings out of their ears, it can take a very very long time to go back or sometimes it doesn't at all. This would be the same in my opinion. If you stretch the vaginal opening over time then even before you give birth it's going to be quite loose and it would stay very stretched afterwards too. You'd have to put a hell of a lot of hard work and effort to get back into shape iykwim!

If you don't stretch down there, the skin will be torte and when the baby is crowning, you may tear or you may not. If you do tear or get cut then you get stitched up, your downstairs will swell due to the injury and that will cause you to heal up tight. If you don't tear then when your perineum stretches it will cause teeny tiny little cuts where the tissue is expanding rapidly. After birth, the body will see this as injury and then swell- causing you to heal up tight.

If you're already that big then it's no big deal for the skin and therefore wouldn't need to heal.

Also, if you've ever overstretched a muscle, when it heals it feels tight. If you've done dancing or gymnastics- you have to stretch regularly to keep supple.

Ok i've written an essay but that's my best way to describe my theory lol! Long term stretch stays stretched, short term stretch goes back to normal.

That's what I thought would happen too!

Interesting.

I was very worried about the vagina/perineum staying stretched but apparently if you're using it at the right gestation, the hormones already present means stretching is occuring anyway, you're just taking advantage?

More importantly if one is doing their pelvic floor exercises this is less likely to happen, I think.

I was very worried about the vagina/perineum staying stretched but apparently if you're using it at the right gestation, the hormones already present means stretching is occuring anyway, you're just taking advantage?

More importantly if one is doing their pelvic floor exercises this is less likely to happen, I think.

Hmm... makes you think then! :shrug:

I know there are hormones that make you stretch down there, but do the hormones make you close up again? If there are, then I guess my theory would be invalid.

My understanding of it is that when you heal, it heals the same as other parts of the body and the swelling from the trauma sort of acts like a cast- holding all in place until it heals itself.

However being pregnant has taught me that the vagina is a magical and mysterious thing lol. It might work differently... in which case I would be interested if I could afford it lol!

I used this product with my second baby after a shoulder dystocia induced 3rd degree tear.
I was very strict with doing my pelvic floor exercises and massaged the area after the Epi-no stretch. Gave birth to a similar sized baby with not even a graze 2nd time round.
On my 3rd baby now due in 4 Weeks..and will be using this again..money well spent in my opinion!
I am also using Elastolabo perineal massage gel.

Btw, I also delivered kneeling down this probably helped too.

Used it with my son last year , you should only use it the lasts weeks of pregnancy anyway , I think after week 34 or so can't remember .. Had no tears just a graZe from DS long nails , will start using it this week
It's not comfortable but I got used to it by the end , I was quite strict with it though .
I don't think by using it 5 or 6 weeks your vagina will become looser , mine feels the same and my doctor was impressed with my muscle tone down there after birth .
I recommend it

Used it with my son last year , you should only use it the lasts weeks of pregnancy anyway , I think after week 34 or so can't remember .. Had no tears just a graZe from DS long nails , will start using it this week
It's not comfortable but I got used to it by the end , I was quite strict with it though .
I don't think by using it 5 or 6 weeks your vagina will become looser , mine feels the same and my doctor was impressed with my muscle tone down there after birth .
I recommend it

Hi there, I know this thread is old but can I ask you, if you used it and had no tears what size does it blow up to and what can you actually work up to before birth? I can't see how I'd get past 5-6 cm even practicing with all the lube in the world! My doctor highly recommends Epi massage to prevent tearing. But a baby's head is meant to be 10 or more. Omg I'm not looking forward to this, I'd love to just sneeze and have that baby will come flying out:haha:

Hey ! I'm going to start using it again this week as I have 4 weeks to go for my next baby , I do remember getting to 9 or more cm , started with 5 or 6! ... I had no tears in perineum or labia but had a graze due to my son long fingernails , my perineum was intact !
Hope that helps

Hey ! I'm going to start using it again this week as I have 4 weeks to go for my next baby , I do remember getting to 9 or more cm , started with 5 or 6! ... I had no tears in perineum or labia but had a graze due to my son long fingernails , my perineum was intact !
Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->