No one wants to deliver my baby!

amerikiwi

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Warning: Vent to follow:

In New Zealand, you're given a list of midwives and you contact them and choose one to be your lead maternity care giver. This midwife works with you from confirming pregnancy all the way through to delivery. In theory this sounds like a wonderful system. You develop a relationship with someone you get to know and trust.

In practice, my experience so far has been less than ideal. I've spent hours ringing midwives and as soon as the question "when are you do" is asked, it's the beginning of the end. I'm due between Christmas and New Years and no one wants to work then! Some have been quite polite, others quite rude, but all have confirmed that I'm going to be hard pressed to find anyone willing to take me on with a due date during the holidays.

I think the pregnancy hormones are starting to kick in. I know it's not personal, but I felt really rejected being told "NO" so many times over again in a 3 hour period. There must be a grinch midwife out there...I will find her/him!

Anyone else unable to find a doctor or midwife? Interested to see how maternity care works in different parts of the world.

aww thats crazy you'd think someone would take you on considering it is their job i really hope you find someone soon hun xx

That is absolutely horrid! I know that eventually someone with a kind heart will take you regardless of the date. Best of luck to you hun! ;)

Oh crap! I haven't even started looking yet. I was meant to be mailed a list of MWs in my area, but it's been a week and it hasn't arrived! I'm due about the same time as you. Maybe we'll just have to be each other's make-do midwives... I'm due about the same time as you and in West Auckland. Whereabouts in NZ are you? Kia kaha Amerikiwi!

Oh crap! I haven't even started looking yet. I was meant to be mailed a list of MWs in my area, but it's been a week and it hasn't arrived! I'm due about the same time as you. Maybe we'll just have to be each other's make-do midwives... I'm due about the same time as you and in West Auckland. Whereabouts in NZ are you? Kia kaha Amerikiwi!

:rofl: picturing two heavily pregnant women playing the role of midwives.

I threatened to buy my husband a book like "Birthing for Dummies". I'm in Wellington where there's a shortage of midwifes to start with. Worst case scenario, we register with the hospital and meet with whatever MW is on call on the day of appointments. Not ideal but better than birthing in the paddock!

I hope you have better luck in Akl kittenk! Let me know how you go.

:rofl: picturing two heavily pregnant women playing the role of midwives.

I threatened to buy my husband a book like "Birthing for Dummies". I'm in Wellington where there's a shortage of midwifes to start with. Worst case scenario, we register with the hospital and meet with whatever MW is on call on the day of appointments. Not ideal but better than birthing in the paddock!

I hope you have better luck in Akl kittenk! Let me know how you go.

I'm glad you enjoyed the image. :) And yeah, if no one else is willing to work, at least there's the hospital. *sigh* Better luck tomorrow! :hugs:

hey girls.. i think im having the same prob.. although it is hard enough finding someone suitable even if you arnt due during holiday season (im due around 4th of Dec...)

am thinking ill probably go to a community centre thing for multiple midwifes.. at least youll be seen when needed and someone will be available at that time.. ;)

Sounds horrid.

Not sure what would happen in the UK if you wanted a home birth, cos I think you then get allocated a specific midwife, but otherwise you just get whoever is working at the hospital at the time when you go in.

Hope you manage to get it sorted out soon, it must be horribly frustrating - hugs x

Yeah here in the UK (well from my experience anyways) you go to your doctors to tell them you are pregnant they arrange for you to see a midwife within a few weeks, so you see the midwife that is attached to the doctors surgery all the way through your pregnancy, then when you go into labour you go to the hospital and whoever is on duty that day thats who you get!

thats awful that no one wants to be your midwife! afterall they chose to be in that profession so surely they realise that little bundles of joy are born at Christmas time!!

Im sure someone will take you on!

Good luck hun! x

aww, sorry you're having a hard time. If it makes you feel any better, if I were done with my studies and I were in your area, I'd gladly take you in. :) Good luck...

hey girls.. i think im having the same prob.. although it is hard enough finding someone suitable even if you arnt due during holiday season (im due around 4th of Dec...)

am thinking ill probably go to a community centre thing for multiple midwifes.. at least youll be seen when needed and someone will be available at that time.. ;)

Sorry you're having problems as well Lunaty. What area are you in?

Have you tried individual midwives or ones that work in a group. My one works in a group of 4 ladies so there is always at least 2 of them on call. My MW did say that she doesn't take on clients who are due around that time but I'm sure her colleagues would still have to be around in case.

If all else fails just lie about your due date they wont find out til your 12 week scan and opps you didnt know :blush: and by then too late as you have already signed up with them and if they aren't happy it is their job to find you a new midwife... another thing I didn't know is if you dont like your midwife they have to find you a new one not vice versa...

Hope that helps

If all else fails just lie about your due date they wont find out til your 12 week scan and opps you didnt know :blush: and by then too late as you have already signed up with them and if they aren't happy it is their job to find you a new midwife... another thing I didn't know is if you dont like your midwife they have to find you a new one not vice versa...

Haha! Fantastic idea, lie!
:) I had no idea that the midwife was the one that finds you a new midwife if you don't like the one you're with. Much less stress! Does seem a bit like rubbing it in their face though...

Amerikiwi, I' hope you've had better luck today.
:hugs:

Kiwigal, fantastic idea lying about the due date!

I'd contacted all of the groups and individuals that were on the list from Ministry of Health. There's a group called Maternity Project here in WEllington that works to match women with midwifes so hoping they can pull some strings for me.

If not, I'm definitely going for lying about the due date. How does January 4th sound? Surely a one week difference that only shows up at 12 weeks scan is believable!

KittenK, have you received your local list yet?

Got my fingers crossed for you, hopefully they can get you all booked in. And hopefully anyone working over that period is lovely :)

I am on the north shore of Auckland..

EDD is 4th of Dec but im pretty sure i've O'd late..
I am a bit hesitant towards midwifes.. 2 of my friends seemed to have a really hard time with theirs not long ago..

Then again yuo probably never really know until yuo find out for yourself.. :)

:blush: You're welcome for the idea. Hope it all works out for you and you get a nice midwife

If not, I'm definitely going for lying about the due date. How does January 4th sound? Surely a one week difference that only shows up at 12 weeks scan is believable!

You never know, they might move you a bit at the 12 week scan anyway, your "new" due date might turn out to be more accurate! Hope you get it sorted out soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->