No sac at u/s

JL8

Reaction score
Right.
12 days ago (a week before I was due on) I had hard cramping and then I spotted for 9 days (very lightly). On the 9 th day (Tuesday) I did a pregnancy test and there was a faint positive line. My last period was December 23rd and my cycle is around 33 days.
Because of cramping and spotting I worried so spoke to a private clinic about having an early scan as nhs wouldn't do one for another 2 weeks. I had the scan yesterday and nothing could be seen, only a cyst on my right ovary. The lady told me I had likely miscarried and gave me info for a support group.
This morning I did another test and it was so clear, as bright as the test line.
Would my levels continue to rise this much? Could it be ectopic? Could it be that I ovulated late and baby was too small?
So many emotions right now, heart break, confusion and worry.
I just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Thank you x

Wow, that is WAY too early to say miscarriage! You're probably too early to see anything! The cyst is normal, it is where the ovum came from, the cyst remains to support the pregnancy. Do you think you are just under 5 weeks or so? I would never expect to see anything that early on.

How far along should you be now? It could be too early to see anything. By my calculations you aren't even 5 weeks yet so that would be a normal scan to not see anything. I can't believe they are calling miscarriage! They shouldn't call it until a follow-up scan in 10-14 days where I bet all will be fine.

Did they do blood tests? It's hard to see anything on the ultrasound before betas are high enough.

huh? it's way too early to see anything.

at 4 weeks all they saw on my ultrasound was a thickened lining and a cyst...

at 5ish weeks they saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac.

Based on my period being 23 Dec yesterday when I had the scan I would have been 5w3d but if I had ovulated late (I never used tests) I would have been less.
I've got bad cramps again today, for the first time since 12 days ago when is all started.
I'm just really confused.
Can you miscarry without having much blood? I spotted for 9 days but it wasn't even enough for a small pad.
The midwife I spoke to Friday said I would be able to be referred to the early pregnancy unit when I was 7 weeks so I'll need to wait until them for bloods/second scan, hence why I attempted to get reassurance by paying for a private scan (this is my first pregnancy after a while ttc). Thank you x

Based on lmp yes you would be but since your cycles are longer I would take 5 days off that. Since you ovulate probably 5 days later than a typical 28 day cycle. You really won't know until you get a repeat scan. If you were just spotting things can still be fine.

I've never miscarried that early (mine were always between 7-8 weeks) so I don't know if it would be more like a chemical or a true miscarriage. I CAN tell you that when I miscarried, there was a LOT of blood. I bled for 32 days total but the worst of it didn't happen until about 3-4 days before I finally stopped bleeding... that's when I passed the sac. If you didn't pass anything that looked like a sac, there is a good chance that it was just too small for the ultrasound to pick it up. My doctor refuses to do ultrasounds until 7 weeks because it is too inconclusive. However, I can understand how worried you'd be and why you pushed to have the scan done. I will note that I had bleeding for about a week with my DS. It wasn't spotting... there was so much blood that I had to wear a liner and my liner would be covered by the end of the day. I thought I was losing him but scan at 8 weeks showed a baby with a healthy heartbeat. Anything can happen. I wouldn't lose hope just yet :)

Thanks lilmisscaviar.

I thought there would be more blood too, but it was a tiny amount for 9 days. But maybe it was just so early that there wasn't really anything to pass at that point?

I had intense period-like cramping last night, it woke me up, but no blood still.

Feeling very confused :-(

Sorry youre in limbo. Fingers crossed for good news.

I CAN tell you that when I miscarried, there was a LOT of blood. I bled for 32 days total but the worst of it didn't happen until about 3-4 days before I finally stopped bleeding... that's when I passed the sac. If you didn't pass anything that looked like a sac, there is a good chance that it was just too small for the ultrasound to pick it up. My doctor refuses to do ultrasounds until 7 weeks because it is too inconclusive. However, I can understand how worried you'd be and why you pushed to have the scan done.

THIS!! So much this! My miscarriage was extreme bleeding, even hemorrhaging that needed to be controlled in a hospital for a while, and lasted until I passed the remaining tissue (I was pretty far along, and it all came in pieces) weeks later. I really don't think you're miscarrying... The symptoms seem far too light. I would think, however, that this is implantation bleeding and cramping! :happydance: In the meantime, you can always rest and drink more, maybe even meditate to relax. It can only help!

One more thing - my cycles are 38+ days, and I have NEVER had an accurate early scan. I've learned to track ovulation and go by my own dates, for which my baby birds have always arrived on that exact due date! If your cycles are 33 days, I would imagine you ovulated around Day 19. Try calculating your due date off whenever that specific day would be, and see where you measure up against the scan size/development. I'm sure you'll be relieved to see the babe is right where they're supposed to be. :)

I think you're too early, hun. And I've had 3 miscarriages and 2 chemicals, and even with my chemicals I bled like a period. I've had an early miscarriage that started as spotting and ended in bleeding, but the spotting was only a day (that I can recall) and then the bleeding started. I'd be worried and confused too, tbh, but what you are describing doesn't sound anything like my chemicals or my miscarriages. And cramping is normal. With my only successful pregnancy, I bled red during week 7 and cramped really really bad from week 4. Good luck and hope you get answers soon. Limbo is an awful place to be.

Thanks everyone. I am just so confused and do not feel that medical professionals are giving me much guidance in any way as I am so early - the EPU won't see me until I am 8 weeks, and according to my tracker I am 6 weeks today (although possibly less if I ovulated late).
When you say ovulated at 19 days, is the 19 days from the first day of my last period?
Thanks ladies xx

Good luck! Sounds like the scan was too early.

My chemicals miscarriages we strong and like a heavy period. You would have known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->