No to honey???!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by padbrat, May 31, 2011.

1. padbrat

padbrat My Rainbow is Born x

I have been having honey on my toast for weeks now every day... calms my sickness down... but I have just been told by my chemist to not have honey or any honey related products including honey Strepsils!!!:dohh:

Apparently it can transmit a virus which can harm the baby.... I had no idea!!

It is very rare for this to happen so don't panic ladies:hugs:.....

But I love my honey :cry:

2. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

you can get pasturised honey which is fine and tbh unless you live in an area with lots of bee disease then your very unlikely to be at risk

you shouldnt give raw honey to a baby under 12 months old but id never heard of it for pregnant women before

3. CamoQueen

CamoQueen Mom of 2 & 1 on the way!

I've never heard this before; I Googled pregnancy and eating honey and every single source I could find, without question, said it's safe to consume. I think you've been misinformed!

4. 5-a-side

5-a-side Well-Known Member

Its not something I'd heard of either.
    Hope your sickness improves

5. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

Honey is fine when you are pregnant... Just not for babies under one due to the botulism risk.

All I could manage was toast with honey when I had morning sickness with DD....

6. nadinek

nadinek Well-Known Member

lol no its fine for preggo women! i think your pharmacist was htinking of babies once their out. They can't eat it till 1 year, can give them botulism (sp?). Its fine while their still in you lol!

7. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

I thought it was just not safe for a baby under 1 as their digestive system is to immature to fight off a bug that can make them very ill. I'd think it was ok in pregnancy as your stomach destroys the bug.

8. padbrat

Bloomin chemist... I specifically told her I was first tri pregnancy..... Hubby laughed when I told him I could have no more honey .... there's sympathy ... NOT!

I am much relieved I can still have it as it for some reason helps the sickness... which TBH I am not so bad with... I have what I call 'ninja sickness'.... nothing at all and then it sneaks up on you and BAM you feel like crap! lol

9. rosequartz

rosequartz Pregnant with 1st Baby

I have been having Manuka Honey everyday , someone please tell me its ok to have :(

10. DEEDEE2011

DEEDEE2011 Well-Known Member

I was at my doc on Monday and she told me honey was fine so i'm still having it :)

11. Amy31

Amy31 Well-Known Member

I heard you shouldn't have it so stayed clear but don't know where I read or heard. Also read somewhere about butter but that seems to be wrong as well. I love honey but as soon as I hear something might not be good during pregnancy it puts me off it.

12. Clover Jane

Clover Jane Guest

I knew children aren't supposed to have honey until age 2, but I never heard that about pregnant women.
    I don't much like honey anyway, which is probably why I never knew...
    Well, if the doctor says no, then refrain, I guess.

Good luck.

13. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Pasteurised which is most the store bought stuff is fine, it's only the stuff thats straight out the hive, no processing, like you could buy at a farm that's a no no, I think. Like with milk.

14. padbrat

I have been having a lil snoop round the internet and I can't see anything bad about having honey when preg....

And it wasn't a doc who told me Clover it was a pharmacist.... so I dunno... am really missing my honey....

Jam does not cut it for me!!!

15. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!