no uterus palpation???

tatsNflowers

Reaction score
I went to my second doctor appointment when I was 11 weeks. He used the doppler but he didn't palpate to check my size. He also said "almost sounds like 2 heartbeats". He's a joker so idk if he was serious about that. Wouldn't he know it was twins by HCG levels? Wouldn't he schedule an ultrasound to see? He said at my next appointment we'll schedule an ultrasound. I'll be about 16 weeks by then. Anyone know what's going on because I don't!!!

What about your 12 week scan? Have you already had one so far?

What about your 12 week scan? Have you already had one so far?

No. I guess I don't get a dating scan or anything. Just my gender scan at 20 weeks maybe.

This is my second pregnancy. Everything went well with my first so idk if he's assuming this one will be the same? I had a scan at 8 weeks for my first baby to check dates because my cycle was long and they didn't believe me. Then around 20 for gender, organs, blood flow, etc. That was it. And it's been nothing so far with this one. I don't get it.

The 12 weeks is the nuchael(sp?) scan. It's a pretty big deal. Maybe Google it then call your doc to ask?

I have never been told about this scan. And i was never offered the other tests for downs. I go to a doc who accepts free insurance so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

At 11 weeks your uterus is still too far down to feel. I can't remember when my midwife started to feel my uterus and measure to the fundus in my pregnancies, but I'm pretty sure it was well after 20 weeks.

As for the 12 week scan, here in the UK it's standard almost everywhere, but as I understand it, they don't do it automatically in other countries. It may not be something your doctor offers.

ive yet to have an official medical scan or medical ultrasound until im 20 weeks along, which is standard where im from for healthy pregnancies. i didnt really want to wait that long to see how baby was doing so i paid private sonographers to let me see baby wiggle every now and then. best experience i could have invested in! i dont think they feel for the fundus or measure the uterus until 20-25 weeks along, but as i said this is standard for where im from (US)

im sure depending on your obgyn the rules and procedures will vary based on state laws and what not.

I was offered the NT scan (it's a scan for abnormalities caused by chromosomal defects), but it's standard practice to offer it to all pregnant women at the clinic I go to. It's offered, but not automatically given. I took it and am seeing baby on Monday. I'd give them a call if you want to know more about it. You only have until I think 14 weeks to get it though, otherwise the fluid and the space in the neck that they are looking at won't be visible anymore.

I'd jump on that if you can because if they find anything and you want to keep it, they have treatments they can start administering in utero that will really lessen the impact for life.

Thanks for input ladies. I was palpated every appointment last time and my first appointment this time.

Im just miserable. Nothing really bothered me my first pregnancy. This one i hurt. I knew i was pregnant before i took the test because of my dreams. My breasts hurt more than ive ever felt. Even while breastfeeding. I had bad morning sickness. Still some nausea. I've already had bad heartburn for a month. Headaches. Round ligament pain waaay worse than my last. Super pressure on my pelvic floor. Already leaking urine. Bad back aches constantly. So so tired. I already feel so big and can feel movement. Very slight. I want to know why i feel so weird with this one!

I'm very surprised you were not offered a nt scan. The nuchal translucency is only visible behind your baby's neck /spine between 11 weeks an 13+6 days. It's a narrow window. I thought this was standard nowadays in u.s canada and uk to at least offer it. It's generally done at 12 weeks as pp stated.
Edit : I hope u feel better soon. Xx I too feel way worse this time than my last. Everything is wrong. I'm vomiting way more...extra tired...I have strep throat ugh the list goes on! I sympathize with you in every way!

No answers here either but I can tell you I'm the same as you. No clue why though.:(

I hope you guys feel better too!

On the other subject. I live in a state in the U.S. that is a little behind on technology and information... and my doctor is sort of old. That could also have a lot to do with it.

Lol could be but my doc is like 100 yrs old and he offers them. Then again I wonder if the goat would if they weren't standard prenatal work up where I live in Toronto. I swear I'm shocked he's not retired.

Palpation of the uterus and checking fundal height are totally different things. My doctor palpated my uterus at 11ish weeks, it is done like in a pelvic exam with one hand inside the vagina and one on the stomach. She said she felt a nice, "definitely pregnant" uterus. I was given a dating scan at 11 weeks, but was not offered an NT scan. I am not high risk for downs, I think it is standard here if you have risk factors but not if you don't? Or maybe you have to request it?

Here it is no longer for high risk. It used to be only for women over 35 yrs however they changed that rule years ago. In 2004 I was 25 and pregnant it became standard so I had it and have ever since. My previous 3 I did not.

I was 30 with my first and am 32 now with my second. They've asked me both times if I wanted it. They've asked all my friends too. I've only personally known one who specifically opted out for religious reasons (sort of, long story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->