No Yolk Sac?

goldlion

Mommy
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm approximately 9weeks preggo and the doctor just called to inform me that the ultrasound wasn't able to find the yolk sac. I had the ultrasound at around 7 weeks. She said the size and heartrate of the baby was good, I believe the heartrate was around 160. She said the machine was old and there is a possibility that it just could not see it, so I'm due back on Friday for another as well as bloodwork.

The question I have is: What kind of problems can I run into when no yolk sac is present? How will this affect my baby? Just any information really would be great, I'm a tad worried!

Thanks so much,
Katie.

:hugs: First of all ... Welcome to BnB :hugs:

Im sorry that I have no advice to give, but Im sure some of the other girls here will be able to offer some. Try to relax and best of luck on Friday. :hugs:

Thank you for the warm welcome :) and I'll try to relax.. I'll keep everyone posted on the status. Eeeeek. I'm sure everything will be fine. Fingers crossed!

:hi: Welcome and congrats! I'm not a doctor but this is what a found about yolk sacs.. I believe it's how that baby gets what it needs until the placenta takies over in later pregnancy.

Yolk Sac

A membranous sac that is attached to an embryo and encloses food yolk, that is continuous in most forms through the yolk stalk with the intestinal cavity of the embryo, that being abundantly supplied with blood vessels is throughout embryonic life and in some forms later the chief organ of nutrition, and that in placental mammals is nearly vestigial and functions chiefly prior to the elaboration of the placenta.

I don't have any advise, I just wanted to welcome you and wish you all the best on friday. Please keep us updated :hugs:

welcome and congratulations!! i had a scan at 8 weeks with this baby and could see the yolk sac but didn't have a clue what it was so asked i was told what it was what its for etc and that it usually goes between week 10 and 12 as the placenta starts taking over so as your already 9 weeks it might just be small so you couldn't see it or maybe your a week or so further on so thats why its not there!

Hi again everyone! :)
I went to my second ultrasound and the baby is doing great, still no yolk sac but by now it would have disappeared, so we saw the development of the placenta. However, a different technician told me she looked over my old u/s pictures and did find the yolk sac.. so PHEW! relief.

Still going for my blood work to check my hCG levels, but now I'm quite certain everything is fine and dandy and can put my mind at ease. It was nice to see the little baby squirming and the heartbeat racing.

Thanks for all of the support, all! And the gracious welcome.

K.

Dear Katie,

I'm sure there is nothing wrong. For one, you are very early and it might just be that you can not really see the sac yet. At this stage, there is usually little to see. It is good that the doctor can hear a heartbeat, and hearing that very early on is a good indication that everything is the way it's suppose to be with bubs.

I hope this helps.

Mel.

Welcome to B&B.
I had a scan at 7+ weeks due to a bleed; they pointed out the yokl sac to me, but then went on to tell me that it will eventually dissapear and that the placenta takes over.
I've echoed what everyone else has just said, but just wanted to add that I was told the same, too!

Welcome to BnB hun,

Glad everything was ok with the second scan ...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

xxx

Positive news ...

Congrats hun

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member