normal time between poos?

ablacketer

Just Call Me Angel :)
Reaction score
rylan went 10 days without pooing and hasnt pooed since monday. I keep being told there is something wrong with him. whats your experiences?

10 days is quite a long time.
In those early days i was lucky to go 10 mins between poo's :lol:
5 days isnt so bad, And it may just be whats right for him.
You will probably find that you get a day full of just poos now!
If your worried though hun get him to the docs, A check over wont harm just for peace of mind :flower:

10 days is quite a long time but some BF babies can go up to a month without pooing, I think Dr. Sears saw one that went 31 days and my eldest went 21 days at one point. Usually this happens after 6-8 weeks though. I'd get your LO seen by a doctor and if he/she says things are ok then just wait and see; if you're concerned LO is getting uncomfortable then you can give something like lactulose solution (not sure if avail. in the US) which is a medicine based on indigestable by-products of sugar, syrup of figs is similar but not sure if its suitable for young babies, suppositries are recommended by some but one of the dangers of them (or the other method of trying to stimulate the bowel using a q-tip) is that your baby may struggle to go in future without the suppositry or stimulation.

thanks. doc saw him at 7 days no poo and wasnt concerned.

10 days is a bit long, but it's quite common for breastfed babies to go long periods without pooing. One of my friends had both her kids regularly go up to 15 days without pooing, and then when they did she'd call it a "poonami!" lol. As long as he doesn't seem to be in discomfort I'd say wait a few more days, but if you're concerned get him checked out if for no other reason than your own peace of mind. Is there a nursing hotline that you can call for advice? We have a line called telehealth Ontario here that we can call and speak with a nurse about any issues (not just for babies) instead of going to the doctor or hospital and they'll give advice and recommendations (which may include going to the doctor or hospital). Good luck hun.

HV told me to call if it was more than 10 days...she is 8 weeks niw and we still get 4 x poos a day :dohh:

Ava poos every 3 to 4 days on average, I think the longest she's gone without a poo is a week.

IJP poos numerous times every day! Always has done. We haven't had a single day without one since she was born! xxx

Eva had to go into hospital when she was 6 weeks old because she had a fever (was just a viral infection flu kind of thing) and my GP, the triage nurse, the nurse who cared for us, the doctor, the next nurse (shift change), the nurse when we moved to pediatrics, the doctor the following morning, the midwife all told me that Eva going 8 days is completely normal for a breastfed baby (she didn't poop till about day 13) that is 8 professionals that told me it was completely normal. I didn't ask them all if it was a problem after the first 2 put my worries to rest but everytime someone came in they went through the checklist "has she peed? has she pooed? is she eating?" and i told everyone there had been no poo for over 8 days and they all gave me the same unconcerned answer.

so do not fear your baby will poop eventually :p

Love

P.S. I have now found with Eva when her farts get really smelly she will poo within 2 days. She is now 2 months old and poops roughly every 4 days and she usually has 2-3 days where her farts don't smell then they start to smell and within 2 days she'll do a big poop or she will poop for a whole day (3-4 lots of poop) and then nothing for another 4 days or so. lol. So i'm just letting you know if they start getting smelly it shouldn't be far off.

8 hours is the longest Thomas has ever gone without pooing. Normally he poos every 3 hours, but what is normal for one baby would be unusual for another.

Finn regularly goes a week between poos and it has been 2 weeks once. No-one seems too concerned as he isn't in any discomfort, apparently it can be normal for some babies

thanks ladies. Rylan made us wait 5 days this time. he pood pretty big yesterday :)

my little man went 2 weeks without a poo from 6 wk to 8 wks and at 8 wk check doctor said completely normal for BF babies, anyway that night he let wrip lol (it wasnt plesent) but soft so can count constipation out anyway he is now 9 weeks tomoz and has not had a poo for 7 days but i am sure it will come....

thanks for the reassurance ladies! I got to see his doc today and she said it was perfectly fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->