Nose bleeds???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by saraendepity, Oct 23, 2008.

1. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

Hey ladies well i got my :bfp: on monday 20th :happydance: :dance: but i've been getting fairly heavy (not gushing but not just spotting) nose bleeds is this something to do with being preggers and have any of you experienced this??? i used to get alot of bleeds when i was younger ( i've got a broken nose ) but it seems to have tailed off since i got older..if anyone can shed some light i will be greatful loadsa :hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. lesleyann

lesleyann Mummy

just had alook online and this is what i found hope it helps ::

"Yes, nosebleeds do tend to occur more often during pregnancy. Pregnancy can cause the blood vessels in your nose to expand, and your increased blood supply puts more pressure on those delicate vessels, causing them to rupture more easily. Although it's unpleasant and inconvenient, an occasional minor nosebleed is generally harmless."

"What Causes Nosebleeds During Pregnancy?
    Causes of nosebleeds usually depend upon the person, but pregnant women seem to get more than their fair share of nosebleeds. Nosebleeds causes in pregnancy are probably the result of increased blood flow. Pregnant women actually have 30% to 50% more blood circulating in their bodies than they would normally. This blood is needed in order to maintain a healthy placenta and baby.

As hormones like estrogen and progesterone rise during pregnancy, so too does a woman’s blood flow. You may notice that you are glowing more than normal and have particularly tender breasts. These are all results of that increased blood flow. This increased blood flow though is also one of them main reasons for nosebleeds because it exerts pressure on the mucous lining in the nose. Sometimes these vessels can’t take this pressure and, as a result, they rupture."

Try not to worry

"Nosebleed alert

If you have more than two bad nosebleeds (or lots of little ones), consult your doctor. Severe and frequent nosebleeds may contribute to anaemia, or may be a sign of underlying illness."