not allowed to bf for a few days :( devastated!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by LousMom, Sep 2, 2009.

1. LousMom

LousMom Mommy of 2 princesses

The baby doc called this AM to tell me that a test they ran at the hospital for the baby came back that she may not have the ability to digest a sugar found in breastmilkor cow milk. So i had to take her back to the dic today for them to take blood and rerun the test. But in the meantime I have to give her soy formula umtil the results come back. Doc says that these tests are super sensitive and are normally false positives. But I can't BF until we get the results back :cry:

I'm pumping and storing, but miss BFing so much! Poor LO is having a tough time pooping now b/c of this soy formula. There's also the possibiity that it was a correct result and I won't get to BF her again. I'm heartbroken!!! Anyone else had this happen/heard of this?

2. Grace's mum

Grace's mum Well-Known Member

Awww, {{{hugs}}}
    How awful to be told you have to stop :( I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the result is wrong.

3. Samantha675

Samantha675 Maybe baby #3?!?

I have not heard of this hun. I hope it is afalse positive. Keep pumping and hang in there. If it does turn out to be true, you can always donate your milk, which is such a wonderful way to help others.

4. Komatsu

Komatsu Well-Known Member

Aww , I really hope it's just a false positive . I've never heard of that before . Fingers crossed they're wrong and you can go back to breastfeeding your little one . Good luck .

5. LousMom

LousMom Mommy of 2 princesses

what a wonderful idea! do u know where i can donate it all if that's the case?

6. massacubano

massacubano Guest

aw :( hope you still will be able to do so... if not donation would be wonderful of you. :) keep your chin up! it still may be possible don't let the girls dry up yet ;)

7. asacia

asacia Guest

There is a great website about milk banking here:
    http://www.ukamb.org/donor.html

I'm not familiar with what you are going through, but perhaps post on the KellyMom website? Those ladies are the font of all knowledge, and as sadly many Doctors get these things wrong, it might be worth posting in there and seeing what they have to say:
    http://forum.kellymom.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

8. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I'm lucky that my local hospital has a big milk bank so I donated to them. They do a few blood tests and then you're good to go. :) Hope it all works out for you.

9. Bekkiboo

Bekkiboo Guest