Not-first-time Mums....a question!

KahluaCupcake

Achievement Unlocked: PG
Reaction score
I understand that each pregnancy is different. Some women feel ready to run a marathon until they give birth, and some are ready to commit to bedrest by week 20.
However, from your experience, when would you say is the best time to start getting things ready? I know you should most likely have everything in place by 30-34 weeks, juuust in case. But how early is too early? How late is too late?
I'm only 9 weeks so obviously don't know the gender. All I have is an estimated due date.
I'm hunting down things that are useful in clearance sales and on Craigslist...like the swing I want, a glider rocking chair, etc. I'll need a side sleeper, a mini crib, a full size crib, dresser, etc etc. I'm thinking maybe an ikea trip around 20 weeks or so?

What should be done when?
I'd love some opinions of how to keep things at a good pace so you're not in a mad rush the last couple months.

I did little by little with number one and two!! Just would get things along the way!! I never bought everything at once. just wanted to see what I was having and then where I could get things for the cheapest prices but nice stuff. I use consignment stores:)

Yes I was the same bought little bits every now and then.

honestly, i wouldnt get anything untill youre past your 12 week mark, JUST INCASE! and around 20 weeks is a great time, youre past the first trimester barf and havent gotten into the third trimester exhaustion, back pain, and sometimes barf again. I didn't feel like doing anything in my third trimester so I wouldnt wait too long, just incase you have a hard third. Usually a lot of people feel pretty good in the second, and then you know the gender if youre giong to find out too.

I did little by little but i didnt start untill after my 12week scan! This time i will have everything inclueding my hospital bag and birth plan ready for 30weeks because i went a month early with my son!
x

When you feel like your ready hun. I started buying things from 5 weeks. Im 12 weeks and already I have a shed load of clothes, shampoos, bubble baths, nappy bags, brush and comb, toys, lotions, bottles, sterilizer, the bouncer and mobile for the cot and thats just a start. I wanted to be prepeared x

I waited until I was 26 weeks before I started buying everything.

Bit it is an individual choice x

I'm definitely waiting until I know the gender to get decoration type things....I thought I wanted a Lion King nursery, but now I'm thinking maybe we'll do a space theme if it's a boy, with a little side of Doctor Who. (We were inspired when we saw Entertainment Earth is selling a 5-6 foot tall TARDIS wardrobe...and the nursery doesn't have a closet! Functional, PLUS it can double as a play tent when he's older.)
Anyhoo...I'm not a believer in the 12 week mark being some magic week. I lost my Ella before that, but I just *knew* there was something wrong. This time, I feel I have a keeper. <3

When I was pregnant with my son I started buying things after 12 weeks. Honestly there isn't a whole lot that a newborn needs...!uy what u would like to, but a highchair and that kinda stuff could wait. A newborn needs lots of onesies, a carseat, diapers breastmilk, and love. Once baby reaches 4-5 months it changes. Its great to be prepared but don't worry too much about things-the toy stores etc put so much pressure on parents to have everything.

I just get bits throughout the pregnancy. Esp. Essentials, honestly to me it doesn't matter if it's pink, green, blue, yellow. The baby will NOT care. So I try to start getting the essentials after my first Dr's appt (to make sure bubs is ok). I don't do bedding, and too many clothes until I know the gender. And since in Jan/Feb we'll be getting our income tax we'll probably make big purchases then like travel system, bassinet things like that. Luckily thanks to DD we have a crib, wardrobe, changing table/dresser, and a rocking chair :D

I started buying bits after the 12 week scan and have collected things along the way so that we haven't noticed the expense - if you get what I mean! 5 weeks to go till our c section and all I need really is a black out blind for the nursery so we are pretty much ready to go now :) It is good to spread it all out I think x

I say take your time so early on because the worse feeling in the world is purchasing things and something happens. Once you're out of the 1st trimester and find out what you're having, then is when I would start buying little things here and there. This is my third and I plan on having my babyshower at 7 months, close to 8 so I won't be purchasing too much stuff until afterwards in regards to swings, strollers and things of that nature because you never know what you're going to get. Clothes, diapers, and necessities of that kind, I say 5-6 mnths is about a good time to start.

Do things whenever you feel comfortable. I'm sure with my first 2 boys that I did purchase a few things before I knew what I was having but generally I wait until I know the gender to start purchasing things.

With my 3rd pregnancy, I was so confident I ran out and bought EVERYTHING and then found out at 13.5 weeks it was a blighted ovum!

So admittedly, I'm a lot more cautious now. I haven't bought anything at all yet and likely won't for a couple more months....gender scan.

Also this is my 4th baby and I'll admit the need to run out and buy a lot of things isn't really there like it was with the others. I know now what is really necessary and how much stuff I want to work around when the baby comes!!!!

Do what you feel comfortable with and what works for you....there is no magic time to get started!!!!

with my little girl i was exhausted throughout the whol pregnancy but did everything little by little. due to having a loss at 20 weeks perviously, we waited and started at 20 weeks and that gave us plenty of time to get everything. Furniture and pram i ordered at 30 weeks, both where delivered by 36 weeks which ment i had time for my OH and dad to put furniture up and was able to take 4 weeks (ended up being 5) to get the room organised, clothes washed and put away and get anything we had missed!! i had made a list of what i wanted before 20 weeks but didnt actually buy anything till after the scan!!

xx

i had everything completely ready by 30 weeks with my first, and the rest was the longest 9 weeks of my life. i had nothing left to occupy myself during that time. i started as SOON as we found out the gender at 20 weeks. i wish i could wait longer to get to work on the nursery and everything this time but i know myself. i'll be done early again! haha

We waited till 12 weeks. After that, I gradually bought a few bits every month. They don't need much and you'll get lovely gifts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->