Not gaining weight

Chezzer

Reaction score
Hi
I'm so gutted my little girl is 6wks 3 days and ebf she weighed 7lb 3oz at birth and now is 8lb 6oz in a wk she's put on 4 oz she's dropped slightly off the centiline I'm so upset I do not want to be a bottle mummy. What will they do. I'm broken.

Please can i have advise from UK England mummies. X

Dont panic! Babies don't always stay exactly on their centile, they grow in fits and starts, and being slightly off a centile could be completely fine. A sudden drop crossing two centile lines or a steady slow drop in weight over the course of a month or so would be cause for concern but a slight drop would just be a "lets wait and see what it's like next time" situation. Are you getting her weighed again in about a week?

Is there a reason why you know how much she put on in just one week? Usually (unless there are other symptoms of a problem such as difficulty feeding/attaching, or nipple pain) you wouldn't want to weigh a healthy baby more frequently than every 2 weeks. This is because if you weigh them too frequently you will see occasional drops in weight and then this freaks mum out (as you have experienced) but over a longer period such as two weeks or more baby will drop a bit here and gain some extra there and it evens out to show a more general trend in the right direction. Centile lines are indicators only, not an exact science.

Do you have any other reasons to suspect your baby isn't healthy and getting the food she needs?

P.S They wont force you to do anything while your daughter is healthy and happy, it's your decision how to proceed and they will try to help you solve any potential problems before they get too serious.

Last edited:
Dont panic! Babies don't always stay exactly on their centile, they grow in fits and starts, and being slightly off a centile could be completely fine. A sudden drop crossing two centile lines or a steady slow drop in weight over the course of a month or so would be cause for concern but a slight drop would just be a "lets wait and see what it's like next time" situation. Are you getting her weighed again in about a week?

Is there a reason why you know how much she put on in just one week? Usually (unless there are other symptoms of a problem such as difficulty feeding/attaching, or nipple pain) you wouldn't want to weigh a healthy baby more frequently than every 2 weeks. This is because if you weigh them too frequently you will see occasional drops in weight and then this freaks mum out (as you have experienced) but over a longer period such as two weeks or more baby will drop a bit here and gain some extra there and it evens out to show a more general trend in the right direction. Centile lines are indicators only, not an exact science.

Do you have any other reasons to suspect your baby isn't healthy and getting the food she needs?

P.S They wont force you to do anything while your daughter is healthy and happy, it's your decision how to proceed and they will try to help you solve any potential problems before they get too serious.

Hi
Sorry for the long reply, I just thought I'd get her wrighed a wk apart no reason
They arnt concerned atm, she's gaining but not as much as they would like her to gain she's getting weighed in two wks. She's happy alert and responsive loves her play gym cooing smiling eye contact kicking batting her arms, she's doesn't feed for that long. And it's a slight drop.
She's was born 7lb 3oz shes now 8lb 6oz and is 7 wks old

I'm glad you seem less stressed by the situation now. Do you have any breastfeeding support groups near you that you could attend?

Hi
I'm so gutted my little girl is 6wks 3 days and ebf she weighed 7lb 3oz at birth and now is 8lb 6oz in a wk she's put on 4 oz she's dropped slightly off the centiline I'm so upset I do not want to be a bottle mummy. What will they do. I'm broken.

Please can i have advise from UK England mummies. X

Hi, I breastfed my son for 3 and a half years ☺️
I am also a third year student nurse and have spent time on maternity wards at the hospital.
Breast milk is very thin in comparison to formula but is jam packed with nutrients and lots of other magical stuff!
Babies drop off percentiles, and then catch up again. I wouldn’t be too concerned at this point.
How long are her feeds? You may notice gulping at the beginning of the feed, this is the watery part for hydration, a little later into the feed you may notice baby slows down and their mouth starts to vibrate when they pause feeding for a second. This is the good stuff! Does she feed for long?
Keep at it your doing great xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->