• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Not hungry. Concerned.

Ofireland

Reaction score
I'm about 5'6'' and 130 lb, so "normal" BMI range. I had a nauseous first trimester and ended up losing about 10 lb. Before getting pregnant I was accustomed to exercising pretty vigorously 3x a week, but my hips have been sore so I am fairly sedentary now aside from occasional walks and swimming. I am in my second trimester now, and have only gained back half of the 10 lb I lost, but my nausea is gone. However, so is my appetite. It's not uncommon for me to eat 1 meal a day with a few small snacks. I've been drinking a lot of water, but rarely feel the desire to eat. I was curious about exactly how little I was eating, so I started writing down my calorie intake for the last week and I found out that I have only been eating 1000-1200 calories most days (most of it is healthy, but sometimes I drink a soda just to add to that number). I am worried because before getting pregnant I was much hungrier and typically ate 1500-1800 calories a day AFTER eating back exercise calories. I am very worried that eating so little will hurt me or my baby, but I also feel like I should be following my body's lead and not stuffing myself when I am not hungry.

So far my midwives don't seem concerned at all about my weight, which has not fluctuated much and is still in the healthy BMI zone. I am taking all of my vitamins and calcium, so hopefully I won't lose bone density or anything while my body funnels nutrients to the baby. Even so, I know that this level of hunger seems really low for me, and including the first trimester I feel like I've barely been eating for weeks. Several online sources said it's very dangerous to "starve" yourself during pregnancy, and I know <1200 calories is low even for a non pregnant person. Should I force myself to eat more, or just let my body be the guide and eat according to my appetite?

I was in the same exact boat.

my appetite kicked in about 2 weeks ago, but I'm still vomiting after I eat.

my best advice is to eat well, nutritional foods, and your vitamins.
I'm sure midwife is not concerns due to the fact that she's checking you, and has not noticed anything alarming,

My doc told me; "don&#8217;t worry, by third trimester you'll be asking why you are gaining so much weight" lol.

relax, and eat as healthy as possible :)

I'm in the same boat! I started off "underweight" as my doctor put it and she expected me to gain 35lbs. I keep waiting for a food craving or times of intense hunger and I just don't have it!!! It's so weird..before getting pregnant I'd crave food and get really hungry and I don't know where that appetite has gone? I used to need sweets every day and that desire is gone too!! So weird. I also drink tons of water but I'm not concerned bc I force myself to eat when I'm not hungry and I trust my body knows what it's doing. I'm just going with the flow and listening to my body!

I'm not eating much either, though my reason is simply that I'm not hungry and if I eat more than I feel like eating I get extremely bloated. So I just don't eat much at all. Yesterday I ate a stuffed pepper and some rice for lunch (biggest meal all week) and still felt so awful by dinner time I took my vitamins and ate some green beans (because I should eat veggies, right?). I think I had a piece of bread or a handful of muesli, can't remember. The only thing that consistently sits well for me is the bran cereal in the morning (lactose free milk) along with some tea, and berries or red grapes. Lettuce is OK too.

I'm almost 5'8 (1.72m) and started off about 59 kg (130lbs) and when I weighed myself this morning I was 59.7 kg.

I started out overweight and had almost no appetite until about three weeks ago. I think it's normal.

i wouldnt drink a soda to add to the number of calories as it provides empty calories - and its quality rather than quantity that counts

eat a couple of small meals a day (including fruit and veg) and youll be fine. i think you only have to worry if not gaining weight if rake thin, if normal its nothing to be concerned about as early as 18 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"