not immune to German measles, anyone else? :-(

Indi84

Reaction score
Just had a letter saying my blood results show I'm not immune to German measles, it has really freaked me out.
I don't get how I was immune last pregnancy and 2.5 yrs later I'm not.
I have an older friend who contracted this when she was pregnant and her daughter was born severely disabled and only lived until 18, I think knowing them and their story is what has worried me so much.
I rang the midwife and she said is nothing they can do, but it's really rare now.
Just feeling blue, help!

Can you get vaccinated? My midwife said in rare incidences immunity can wear off

They can't vaccinate until after the baby is born, nothing can be done. Just feeling a bit blue about it, like the baby isn't safe, even though I know it's rare.

I was the same with my last pregnancy. After I gave birth they gave me the mmr injection. Try not to worry, everything was fine xx

I am also not immune. It worries me because my husband works at the Children's Hospital, and with the new fad of people not vaccinating their children, there have been measles outbreaks all over the place (but not German measles recently as far as I am aware). He has told his supervisor that he can't work on any measles cases, but he can't completely avoid germs at work. I just try not to think about it because there's nothing that can be done now.

I have been vaccinated for Rubella (German Measles) 3x and still do not have an immunity. There is not too much to worry about as they can not vaccinate for it during pregnancy as the vaccine can cause birth defects. Rubella is very rare and is different than the measles that is going around currently. I know it's hard not to worry but as soon as baby is born get the MMR shot.

Did you hear that rubella has been eradicated from the Americas? It's getting rarer and rarer

That's what the doctor said to me too. There is really not too much to worry about.

Thanks everyone :) I know it's rare but with this new trend of not vaccinating babies, things are starting to crop up, in the UK at least. I can't worry the whole time though and will just have to get on with things!
In my letter it said I'll be vaccinated after giving birth in the hospital and then I'll have to pop to the docs 4/12 weeks after for a booster thing.

I was not immune with DD1 and was fine. I'm in Canada and we've had some measles cases...Thanks to some geniuses who think they know better than everyone else and decided that vaccinating was wrong...don't wanna start a debate so won't say more...

I'm very much in the same position as you! I had a blood test about 4 weeks ago that revealed I had a weakness for rubella and my Dr told me I would need to get a shot but warned I needed to be very sure I wasn't already pregnant - did a test and sure enough I'm about 5 weeks, very glad I tested!

So now I am worried because I'm not immune and pregnant. My doctor said its VERY rare (I'm in Australia, so not sure if its different elsewhere) and all I can do is avoid people with rashes and such. It sucks knowing that there's a potential for something bad to happen but its so unlikely I think the best thing we can do for our babies is to not worry about it x

My rubella status keeps changing every time I get checked for it. I've been borderline, low, and then most recently after my November miscarriage within normal levels for immunity and I never got a shot in between either :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->