• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Not immune to rubella but kids due to have MMR vax on Friday .. Safe?

dan-o

RMC's but mum to 3 now!
Reaction score
As title says I'm not immune to rubella (vax didn't work) and pregnant, 6w.

My boys are both due their MMR vaccines on Friday and I'm a bit worried as its a live vaccine. One is still in nappies so I'm obviously in full contact with his poo etc. Plus they will both probably react and become ill like last time, so will be incapacitated with diahorrea/vomiting/fever/flu symptoms for the weekend and require lots of cleaning up after!

Can they shed the actual virus? Can I catch it?

Reading up on the NHS site: Vomit and faeces have no effect in cause of spreading so you're safe in that aspect but better off not to be around them or receive help if they do contract any of the flu-like symptoms.

"Rubella is caused by a type of virus called a togavirus. It is spread in a similar way to a cold or flu, through droplets of moisture from the nose or throat of someone who is infected. These droplets are released into the air when someone coughs, sneezes or talks.
You can become infected if you come into contact with the droplets from an infected person, although it can take two to three weeks for symptoms to develop"

Good enough (edit- and by enough I meant info) smartie!!

I never even thought about something like this when dd git the morning, cause I'm not immune to any of it (allergic to the vaccine). Well that was months ago now lol, i think I feel better having not thought of this at that time!

Honestly I would just wait and vaccinate your kids once baby is born. Like all vaccines there is a risk your child could contract any part of the MMR and rubella as you probably know is mild in children, but devastating in pregnancy. The likelihood of your kids spontaneously contracting mumps, measles or rubella in the next 8 or 9 months is pretty slim and even if they did the likelihood of them suffering any long term effects if they are otherwise fit and healthy is minisule. Mumps is only dangerous in very few cases in adolescents and adult men. Measles is probably the worst of the 3, but the deaths caused by measles are still much lower than the deaths caused by road accidents etc. xx

Never crossed my mind either and DD is due for her MMR vaccine anytime from now.

Thanks for replying ladies :) smartie it's only an issue if you are not immune, I think somehting like 90% are, so you should be fine. Have you had your bloods via the midwife yet? Or did you test negative for immunity with your dd at all?

Theart, the risk of getting anything must be very very low indeed. My mind must work overtime to think of something like this lol!

Lara I have delayed ds2's vaccine 4 times now due to him having a fever on the day it was due to be given, looks like I'll be delaying again then, hilarious!
They are both due a booster of pneumococcal and one other, which are killed viruses, so I think we'll just get those and get the mmr live vaccine when this pregnancy ends.

The side effects were horrendous with ds1 anyway, so I don't mind putting it off for a bit lol.

Thanks for replying ladies :) smartie it's only an issue if you are not immune, I think somehting like 90% are, so you should be fine. Have you had your bloods via the midwife yet? Or did you test negative for immunity with your dd at all?

Theart, the risk of getting anything must be very very low indeed. My mind must work overtime to think of something like this lol!

Lara I have delayed ds2's vaccine 4 times now due to him having a fever on the day it was due to be given, looks like I'll be delaying again then, hilarious!
They are both due a booster of pneumococcal and one other, which are killed viruses, so I think we'll just get those and get the mmr live vaccine when this pregnancy ends.

The side effects were horrendous with ds1 anyway, so I don't mind putting it off for a bit lol.

I'm not immune to it either. With my first I heard nothing about Rubella this time I had a phone call from MW stating I'm not immune and have to wait until I've given birth to be vaccinated.

They give the time scale of 3 and 5 for infants so a big rush may not be needed depending on your DS's age.

Just to let you know that the nurse didn't do the MMRs on either, just the other (non live) jabs they were due.

She is going to check with the vaccine control people and get back to me on Monday with the official verdict! :)

I asked my GP today at my appointment about MMR and she said she could delay the vaccines if need be at my request, but a child is more likely to catch it during school days and bring it back so I needed to see it as she is a shield for me. Apparently we can't catch it from symptoms after the vaccine.

The nurse from my GP's phoned disease control today who confirmed it is safe to vaccinate your children with a live rubella vaccine, when not immune to rubella yourself, and pregnant. X

I looked into this because I thought I wasn't immune to rubella (turns out I am). My understanding is that they don't really know but the risk of the live vacine is considered very low because its a small dose of a weakened strain. If you are not immune and at high risk of being in contact with the virus they will even give it to a pregnant woman on the basis that the risk of not having it is higher. This is thought to be safe but they are not really sure. The problem is its not the kind of thing that is easy to do propper trials on. If they sometimes give the vaccine to pregnant women it does seem like it should be safe for your kids to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"