Not putting on weight

Aphrodite

Reaction score
My baby is 3 weeks old and only put on 10oz in a week. We still havent been discharged from the midwife yet as he's still not regained his birthweight. The MW said to top him up with an oz of expressed milk after every feed but he just spits it out or sicks it back up :wacko: He seems to have what he wants so Im now stressing that Im not feeding him enough or missing his cues? He seems to want to feed almost 24/7, just to sit at my boob would be ideal for him! :rofl: I mean he isnt losing weight but Im still a bit worried. Not sure what else I can do really.

Did you mean 1oz in a week? 10oz is a massive amount!

If he's spitting it out, he seems to be getting what he wants and needs. It took Finn 5 weeks to regain his birth weight and there's nothing wrong. He's just a slow gainer :hugs:

Just keep doing what you're doing and let him suckle as much as he wants.

I agree, 10oz is huge! MY L.O only ever put on 3-4 oz a MONTH and she's fine, just dainty. Try not to worry too much, he's gaining weight, thats a positive thing :thumbup: xx

Yes, 10oz is brilliant in a week! Frankie is in no way a "little" baby and he usually does 10oz-ish in two weeks.

When he was brand new though, he lost a huge amount of weight. He was BF but just not getting anything like the amount he needed, not even enough to make him poo. We pretty much had to put him in formula because he never once gained weight until he was nearly 4 weeks old. We weren't discharged from the MW until he regained his bith weight at about 5 weeks old. If your baby has already regained some weight it sounds as if everything is back on track for you, maybe your milk just took a little while to come in? Keep up the good work! x

10oz is really good they say by rule of thumb 1oz per day a week with sunday as a rest day x

My LO took ages to put weight on he was born at 8lb 4oz and was jaundice and went down to 7lb 4 in the first coupldof weeks.. took him to being about 6weeks to get backto his BW and then he put on like noone's buisness.. now at 10months he's 21lbs :D
I wouldnt worry hun. best they keepa check on him .. although i agree 10 oz in a week is ALOT unless u mea 1oz.. lol x

OK Yes I mean 1oz!! lol well i feel better now maybe he's just a slow gainer. Me and my OH were really skinny kids and never put weight on it runs in our families. Ill see what he weighs on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->