not seeing a placenta?

wheelz23

Reaction score
I am 7w3d, and when I asked the US tech if the placenta was visible, she said it usually isn't at this point. She said the baby is still relying on the yolk sac. When does the placenta usually become visible on the US?

I had an ultrasound last week at 8 weeks 3 days and they didnt even check for it but the yolk sac was still very visible..

I had a scan at 9+2 and was told that the placenta had taken over and she just managed to point out the shrinking yolk sac to us.

ETA: with DD I had a scan at 7+3 and only the yolk sac was visible, no placenta.

Oh yeah, not visible yet. It starts forming and beginning to work around 8 weeks. And by 12 weeks, it has usually taken over 100%. Until then the yolk sac supplies everything for the baby.

Look up Ramzi method. Not that you're trying to guess the sex of the embryo, but it might help you figure out where the placenta is on your ultrasound. And it is a guess because it's plenty hard to see at that point.

thanks everyone! I actually wasn't looking for Ramzi method, just every milestone we hit with baby development takes the risk of miscarriage down, and I am a worry wart so I look for these things. It's been a rough pregnancy so far! We have had issues left and right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->