Not sure what to do (am i being overprotective)

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
Well as some of you know im a level 3 childcare course and we are on a unit at the moment called conception to 16 years

well my teacher suggested that when Aidan is born that i would take him in to college so the others can observe his reflexes and then a demonstration on how to bath him:huh::shock: and change his nappy. she said she would like it if i brought him in when he is newborn, then every three months to watch his development.

well my problem is im really not sure about it. i mean i really dont feel comfetable with him being poked and prodded for an hour. and then she wants me to go to other other class straight after so that would be 2 hours of him being treated like a performing seal. I mean my class are quite mature and 2 of them are mummys themselves so its not that i don't trust them i will just feel un-comfertable having my new born treated like something to be gawped at. as for the other class im not sure i want them anywhere near him becuase they have made comments like "if a baby is sick on me in placemnet i will be sick on the baby". :hissy:. I mean what did they go into childcare for if they have attitudes like that. so i certainly wouldnt want them near my new born son.Sorry for the ramble :blush:

am i being to overprotective and do you think the teacher will be offended if i say no??
xx

If you explain to her your reasoning why then i dont see why she should be offended.

Im sure to her its a nice and thought out idea but if it doesnt work for you then just sasy so hun. I can see where she's coming from that it would be nice for the class to have the benefeit of "seeing it done" rather than textbook, but she'll just have to try and find someone who is comfortable

No your not being overprotective. I'd say no myself. I wouldn't want my child to be a tester. Just explain you're not comfortable with the idea so therefore you don't want to do it. She'll be fine about it.

tricky situation hun :( if ur not happy with it tho, id defo say something!!!

or u could look at it from a different view that u get to have ur baba with u whil u learn ^_^

either way, u and Aiden have to be happy xxx

I totally see where you're coming from and I'd say no I think. I wouldn't mix work and home and I think it might be a bit much to bring your own baby and all the emotions that come with it into college. If you have any doubt don't do it hun, you're lecturer will understand if you explain it.

I think your right hun, i wouldent want my baby being up there either.

Oh i'd definatley say no..Im sure your tutor would totally understand and not be offended, if she was it would be very disrespectful of her i think. It's your baby boy afterall.

you do what you feel comfortable with and no more don't feel pressured into anything, and say to her if you do say yes that your the only person to touch him and you'll only do what you want to do.
xx

I understand completely but reckon you may love the opportunity to show baby off. Talk to teacher and she will say to people not to crowd and maul baby as he may get upset...I'm sure. let's face it....he may just sleepthe whole time and not co-operate anyway.

You have to do whatever you feel happy with....he's your baby, don't let anyone push you into something you aren't 100% comfy with.

Why not say you will think about it, and then see how you feel once he arrives? You may love the chance to show him off!!

And as Hevz said, if you do agree to it, make sure YOU set some guidelines (ie How many classes you will do, how long you will stay for, how many people you will have around him) and the make sure the teacher sticks to those guidelines.

Whatever you choose to do, if you explain your reasons, your teacher will understand.

xxx

I don't think you're being over protective hun. Your reasons for not wanting to take Aidan into college seem very reasonable, and justified, particulary if other students are making such silly comments about babies being sick etc.
I'm sure your teacher will be fine if you expalin why you are not comfortable with the idea, and if she's not, well than that's just tough for her, cos Aidan's your baby, and you shouldn't feel pressurised into doing anything which you are not comfortable with.
xxx

I'd say no too, it's your son and you have every reason to not want him to bepoked and prodded by strangers. Plus you're gonna want to spend time with him and not be made to feel like you have to go out in the early weeks.

Dont think you are selfish at all...

Although on the other hand, if you have to go to school anyways it would give you extra time with him?

Thats really hard :( I dont think i'd be comfertable with it either. Maybe say to her that you're not feeling comfertable with it but that you will let her know after he is born :shrug: you might change your mind about your own group.. i dont know but i think if you're not happy with it then you shouldnt do it!

Its as though she has assumed it will be ok already. If she corners you about it I would just say you'll think about it. Its a bit a cheeky I wouldnt be happy about it. I would say, if it was me, that you'd come in for 10 minutes or so show them the reflexes. The bath thing is a bit much in my opinion.

You're not being overprotective at all- it's your choice and your tutor will understand 100% if you say no! But you may feel differently when he's here, so just see how you feel. He's still your baby & you won't be taking your eyes off him- you don't have to let anyone else touch him that you don't want handling him when he is there so you'll have control.

I took Kelsey and Ally into school with me one day when they were about 7 months old. That was okay- they didn't get bathed or anything, pretty much just took them in to show everyone and send the message "its not easy so don't get pregnant" lol. But I didn't mind taking them in, and everyone was really good about it- I got a lot of problems at school being pregnant at such a young age so I expected everyone to act badly towards them and me, but it went surprisingly well and the few people that wanted to hold them etc were really good- and of course I was there to make sure they were okay anyway.

But it's entirely your call & your tutor nor anyone else will think badly of you if you say no!

xx

He's your son hun!! Not a teaching aid!! if you dont feel comfortable with it, then tell her no!!
your the mum, you know whats best for little one!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->