not sure!

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by sar, Jan 31, 2011.

1. sar

sar Well-Known Member

Ok, I really wanted to wait until at least 5 months before starting weaning but... my lo is waking up loads at night for feeds and has been for a month now, having previously slept till 4.30, feeding for 5 mins and then back to sleep. She is feeding for longer and longer during the day too. As i type one-handed she has been feeding for well over an hour. Don't think growth spurt as it's been going on since 6th Jan! She is breastfed with the odd bottle of formula if i am sore, or she is starving when i'm not with her. Formula before bed makes no difference to sleep.

Thinking of starting to give her baby rice/porridge in a couple of weeks, then homemade purees from about 5 months.

She hasn't been weighed since 13 week, but she was 16lb then, and lots of her clothes are 9-12m so she is a big girl!

Any suggestions? Am i really bad if i give her food?

2. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

You wouldn't be 'really bad' of course but I wouldn't. Basically if your LO wakes that much for milk then she must need it. 3-5 months is generally a really really hungry time as they are developing so much. If you fill her up with food she may not get the calories she needs, which are found in milk. Rice and porridge are fillers with very little nutritional value. Also, the food may well make absolutely no difference to her sleep.

3. FLUMPY1984

FLUMPY1984 Well-Known Member

Hi hun

Its up to you if you feel that you need to wean...im starting to wean my lo at nearly 5 months as hes just not satisfied anymore.

Do remember though they have growth spurts around 4 months where they sleep and feed more :) x