Not talking at 14 months

Lucy&Pard

Reaction score
Really worried about this. He seems to understand loads like he will get a towel when I get out the shower and will get things if you ask for them, will get his shoes etc. will stand by the stair gate if you say upstairs, or bath time etc I think he understands a lot but doesnt say much at all that is recognisable. He will say dada but only repeats it if you say it and says bir for bird when he looks out the window. I think boys are a bit slower but my mum had brought around our baby books yesterday from when my sister and I were little and we were both saying quite a lot at 10 months! Anyone got any advice on this?

dont worry at all my lo is nearly 3 and recently has really just started pproper talking and somtimes its unrecognisable what he says- they all develop at different times and i defo agree that boys are much more lazy than girls we are still having a battle with the potty its frustrating because i know he can talk and knows fully well how to use the potty and stay dry- he just can be bothered :headspin: typical male :haha:

He's development sounds on track. Girls are way more advanced when it comes to communication and start talking a lot earlier than boys. Boys however are more advance with 'motor' skills than girls and can put a puzzle or blocks easier together than girls.It's just the way nature made us. Your boy will probably start saying random word/s in a month or so and increase his vocabulary. Most boys start talking kind of properly only at 2 and a half years or so. Dont worry,he understands you and that is the most important part. Soon he will be talking and you will be wondering why you ever worried as he never keeps quite anymore! Hehehe!

Thanks youre probably right. I just hadnt noticed he wasnt talking I thought it was much later but then I started doing some research on the internet and got quite a shock!

Thomas is saying odd words (the sort only Mummy, Daddy and Granny can understand!). He says "Durdy" which is birdy, he say "mick" for milk and can say keys, shoes and biscuit (or "bishwish"). Drink sounds about right. He says "Mummy" properly and only occasionally says Daddy. He used to say doggy but seems to have lost that word. Most of his chatter is complete nonsense, but like your LO he does understand things. As everyone says, they do seem to do things at totally different times, so I really would not worry. Just try and really talk to him, point things out and repeat things a lot, thats what I do. When he does say a word, say that he is a good boy and repeat it correctly for him.

Brenn didn't start really talking till 17 months, now he is a little chatter box.

Hannah understands loads and though she chatters all day we can really only understand a handful of words (she's almost 17 months)

Connor only said about three words at 14 months. He started putting some words together about 18 months.

Sean was also only saying a few words at 14 months. Now he is 18 months and just in the last few days has started saying LOADS of words. Things like Cereal, Pizza, shower etc. He just all of a sudden started saying all these new words.

I wouldn't worry, your boy sounds absolutely fine for his age.

fin understands far more than he says. he loves talking but only has a small selection of words that he regularly says; 'eyes', 'birdy', 'daddy', 'mamma', 'light', 'ball', 'kick', 'clock' - rather random selection really. i wouldn't worry about leo, he seems really forward to me lucy. x

Wow thats loads of words! Since posting on here all I have said to Leo is "Whats that?!" and pointed at things...I sound STUPID!

my cousins son is two and a half and only now is he starting to say alot of words, dont worry hun all babies are different! x

it's not loads luce, and you know as well as i do that they develop different skills at different ages.... leo is so bloody forward! you have nothing to worry about! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->