nothing found on ultrasound... please read

bulldogmom09

Reaction score
I found out I was pregnant last week... but I started having some pinkish discharge yesterday and called my dr., and I went in for my first ultrasound today. Absolutely nothing showed up.. no sac, nothing. So they tested my hcg which was 1985. But my doctor said that something should be showing up if it was over 1500. I thought I was around 5 weeks, but now I really have no clue (I couldn't remember my the first date of my last period because I gad completely given up on the thought of being pregnant).

So I'm just so frazzled by all this... could it just be too early for it to show up on the ultrasound? I won't get another hcg done until Thursday and another ultrasound next Wednesday. Could I be having an ectopic? Or just caught the beginning of a miscarriage? I've cried all day. I just need to hear from anyone who has ever experienced anything like this or knows anything about it. Please.

I'm sorry I've no advice for you but I didn't want to read and run, I hope you get answers soon and everything's ok :hugs: xxx

Hope you get your answer soon hon xxx

I had this with dd, they said at 7 weeks i had an empty sac measuring 5 weeks and that basically i was mc'ing. A week later my scan showed a healthy pregnancy measuring 8 weeks so they can miss things that early and as easy as it for me to say (even though i know how hard it is to do irl) try and relax and take your mind off of things.

You could be out on your dates and be a little earlier than you think. I really do wish you all the babydust in the world and i hope that this is a happy and healthy pregnancy for you xx

Thanks y'all. I'm a complete mess. I feel like I'm losing my mind not knowing what is going on with my baby. I'm so scared. We've been trying for almost 3 years and this is my first pregnancy. I'm praying it's just too early to show up.

yeah it's still early they could have just missed it.
Do you have a tilted uterus? Sometimes that can make it harder to find baby.
Thoughts and prayers are with you! :hugs:

Yes I do actually have a tilted uterus. But I figured they would have taken that into consideration when doing my ultrasound... they were the ones that originally told me my uterus was tilted. But maybe it was just overlooked.

Yes I do actually have a tilted uterus. But I figured they would have taken that into consideration when doing my ultrasound... they were the ones that originally told me my uterus was tilted. But maybe it was just overlooked.

Sometimes Dr's and lab techs accidentally overlook things. It's possible they just missed your baby because of your uterus. You baby is probably just hiding. Try not to worry - I know easier said than done.

I can't remember if you already mentioned this but are you going in for another scan soon?

I see you have another U/S next Wed. Keep us posted!

I repeat my hcg level in 2 days... and have another ultrasound in a week. I just pray something shows up.

Good luck with your hcg and next ultrasound! Hope the news is good <3

I wish I had some advice on this subject but I agree on trying to remain relaxed (although I'm sure that's easier said than done). I do wish you the best and keep us posted! :hugs:

Hey there, try not to worry.. Sometimes it is just too early to see anything x
I had a scan @ 5 weeks, my hcg was 1518 & all they could see on the scan was an empty sac..
They basically said if my hcg didn't double in 48hrs I was miscarrying..
Fortunately everything was fine & we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our little girl in the next few weeks, so keep positive! & good luck xx

I would feel so much better if they had seen a sac. But there was absolutely nothing. And I guess I'm so worried because my Dr said they should be able to see something if my level was over 1500. I wish I could stop thinking about it, but it's consuming my every thought. I really appreciate the warm thoughts.

It's still really early. At his stage the sac is tiny!! And you have a tilted uterus!! Pretty sure they just missed it!!! Did they do abdominal or transvaginal scan? With DD1 I had an internal U/S when I was around 5 weeks, and there was the tiniest sac, like 2-3mm...soooo easy to miss, and I have a ''normal uterus''

They did a transvaginal ultrasound. And they looked at my ovaries. So, it seems like to me that if my level is 1985 and a sac should show up after 1500, if I was having a tubal pregnancy wouldn't they have seen it when they looked at my ovaries?

No advice here.. but wishing you all the luck in the world xx

1500 is just an average. Some women have higher hcg levels, but it doesn't always mean that you are further along in your pregnancy. With my 2nd miscarriage, I had an U/S at 6 weeks to rule out ectopic; my levels were 744 and there was an 3mm embryo with a heartbeat. I knew that the pregnancy was doomed, but it doesn't change the fact that I was 6 weeks with a hcg level lower than 1500, and we saw everything. Waiting sucks, but your next hcg will give you a good idea where things are headed:hugs:

Hi Bulldog!! I think we crossed paths a couple months ago in some of the assisted conception forums. I'm glad to hear you got a bfp! I am measuring behind in my scans right now (I'm 8 weeks) and so I've been reading a ton on this. It sounds like you could very likely be only in the 4th week in which case seeing nothing is totally normal. Even if you are in the 5th week I don't think seeing nothing is out of the ordinary, especially if you have a tilted uterus. YOu would think they would take this into account but they could have easily looked right over it in your file. Augh! What I have learned through all this is that I should never again have a scan so early! There's no going back and I know it's useless to tell you not to worry but I really don't think you have seen a problem with this pregnancy. HCG levels vary so much and the numbers they use for developmental benchmarks are just averages. I know my body pays no attention to averages what so ever!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->