NT scan blood results

mumatmadhouse

number 6 on the way!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am freaking out here slightly, thanks again google :dohh:

So, I went for my NT scan and bloods on 9th jan at 11wks+5. The scan went well, a very lively bubs. The results came back as screen negative at 1:160, which I was happy with given my age (38). I thought no more of it. Then I checked again and the nuchal measurement was only 1.0mm and I started to wonder why my risk was 1:160 if the measurement was so small. Cue google!

My bloods were Free b hcg: 3.18 MoM and PAPP-A: 0.60

From what I have read that both would ideally be around 1.0, so one is high and the other is low. I have read that these can both cause issues in pregnancy and the low PAPP-A can result in pre eclampsia, pre term birth and worse. :nope:

Luckily I see my midwife tomorrow as I feel sick now with worry. Anyone have any advice or experiences to share? Would really appreciate some words of wisdom xxx:shrug:

No words of wisdom. Just talk to your midwife and stay away from Google it will always give absolute worst case scenario for everything. So many times I've tortured myself over nothing Thanks to Dr google

I am so scared of this happening to me. I will be going crazy with worry too. A friend of my mother's results came back as positive (don't know the numbers) and she was born normal.

Good luck and let us know what your midwife says :hugs:

Think about it though with a lot of those tests a result of 1 in 5 would be really high and yet that would still mean the baby would have an 80% chance of being perfectly fine which is why I personally wouldn't have testing.

Not knowing for Sure is awful, I hope your midwife has answers. Keep us updated? I go in tomorrow for mine.

I had low papp a in previous pregnancy and i was told to start asprin straight away to help the blood flow to the placenta

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about your age will definitely be a factor. 1:160 is such a small chance of anything being wrong. Just speak to your midwife and try not to worry I'm sure they would have let you know if there's been any major red marker indicating a problem x

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I am on my phone at the moment so it's a pain to post properly but will update on the pc when I get back from the midwife. Appt at 2.40 today xx

Good luck. And your age is probably what's making the risk number a bit higher, although it's not really all that high. I was over 40 when I got pregnant with daughter and my NT scan measurement was 1.2 and I didn't even have the bloods done (I was having the MaterniT21 anyway so skipped the blood level part) but my risk factor was 1:11 for trisomy 13, 18 and 17 for Down syndrome. So age plays a big part in that.

Also, stay off google. I know easier said than done. On my 13 week scan we saw what we believed to be a cyst on the umbilical cord. My perinatologist said he had never seen that before. I googled as soon as I got home and was sure baby would have problems bc everything I read suggested chromosome issues in baby. Add that to my risk factor and I was a mess. Baby was/is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->