NT scan help!

Claireyb1

Reaction score
Him I went for my combined NT and dating scan yesterday.
Baby was wiggling around lots and she found it hard to measure the CRL, but eventually said I was measuring 10w6d and 40.5mm.
To perform the NT scan baby needs to be a minimum of 45mm,so we need to return in a week.
The problem is she then went onto say it looked like there might be an increased NT, with possibly fluid around baby?
She then almost contradicted herself by saying that at this early gestation it may resolve as it's too soon to get an good measurements.
My questions are-
Why does baby need to measure 45mm? I can't find any answers? I know it will prob be based on the size and getting good measurements,but can't find any more I depth reasoning?
And is it true that early gestation fetus have a higher measurement for NT?
I'm so upset and confused by what's happened.
I don't know why the sonographer said what she did, if she was unsure of her findings. She also couldn't get very clear images either as baby's movements and it lying in it's tummy.
Any help would be most gratefulfly recieved.
C.x

I don't know the reasoning's but I know for my scan I need to be between 12w3 days and 13 weeks for a more accurate measurement, and yes I would ignore her comments for now as its too soon to measure.

Again don't know why but that's what I was told at my last hosp visit please try not to worry as I know lots of woman told it looks thick when the babies are not 12 weeks and everything has turned out fine x

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience- try not to worry too much. 10w+6d is too early to do an NT screen, which is why they normally do them between 11+2 and 14w. Here's a link which should explain it in more detail: https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a544491/nuchal-translucency-nt-scan

It can be difficult for them to get good images when the baby is lying on his/her front. I've had 5 scans and on all bar one, my bub has been lying on his front. My midwife said that's obviously how he's comfortable x

Thank you ladies, but I'm at an increased risk anyway due to my maternal age (just turned 41 after I got my BFP) so it's a real concern for me.
Although I had my daughter when I just turned 38 and all was fine there, but I guess a lot changes in a few years:wacko:

Argh, that was so silly of the sonographer to say those things and cause so much worry- completely pointless as obviously it was too early to make measurements. Easier said than done but you're just going to have to try and not worry too much in the next week- maybe you should organise some activities to take your mind off it.

I know it's hard but try not to worry.... I've seen lots of posts on this site where women are in the same boat as you - given possibly negative information about Fluid thickness at 10/11 weeks and it's just too early. I can't think of one who hasn't gone back a couple of weeks later and found out the sonographer spoke too soon.

It's horrible when medical professionals speak out of turn, the pregnant mind takes hold of whatever information is thrown at it and won't let go!

:hugs:

Like the other ladies said..baby was too small to get a measurement. I went at 11+1 and was told I had to be 11+2 to get an accurate measurement so went back at 12+4.
The sonographer was out of order worrying you like that so take no notice at all. Wait until you go back and see what they find then :) Good Luck xxxx

Thanks ladies,
I'm still very worried though.
I'm going for a private test tomorrow. The harmony test and they will scan me again too, this should give me a better idea of what's going on and then I'm back at the hospital on tues for the rescheduled NT scan.
:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"