Nt scan question

myangel167

Reaction score
I didn't have one with my last pregnancy...

I'm having one on June 1. Are they done vaginally? Did you find out the sex of the baby at yours? How long did it take?

Mine took less than 20 minutes, I'd say. They did it over my belly. The NT scan is done too early to determine gender. However, if they print off a side profile picture, sometimes "nub experts" on the internet can make an educated guess. :)

Thanks I'll be 13 weeks. A friend of mine said that she found out hers was a boy at her nt scan. So we'll see what happens

I suppose you could, but it's really 50/50 (like any guess about gender) at that stage. While external genitalia are present, they look almost indentical on an ultrasound because everything is small and girls are pretty swollen. It's possible that the tech guessed boy and turned out to be right (they had a 50% of being correct), but there are just as many people who have had experiences where a tech guessed at gender and was completely wrong. The only reliable way to determine gender at this stage is to have genetic testing done, or to get a clear side profile picture that displays a "nub" during the ultrasound, and then to have someone who knows what they're doing to assess the "angle" at which the nub is sitting. This method had been proven fairly effective and has been featured in medical journals. The accuracy is for the nub theory is pretty great at 12-13 weeks. I had my NT scan done at 11 weeks and didn't get a shot of the nub, so no good guesses for me.

Best of luck to you. :)

Another question! Do they tell u your results right there or is it like the 20 week ultrasound where they tell u at your next visit?

I'm in Australia so it might be different here. I got a blood test a few days before the NT scan at 13wks. At the scan (not vaginal) they measured the neck thickness (don't know what it's called) then put in the numbers from my blood test and it gives you a 1 in ...... number. I think if it's 1 in 100 or less then the that puts you in high category for chromosomal abnormalities and they may ask for follow up testing. From memory mine was 1 in 17,000 or something so I was fine.

13 wks is too early to definitively know the sex for sure. I think in the U.S they can do genetic testing with blood though to tell you the sex around 13 weeks, is that maybe what your friend had done?

I've got mine tomorrow, with my last daughter they told me they thought she was a girl, but won't tell u with certainty. They also told my cousin hers looked like she was having a boy, which has just been confirmed by her 20 week scan. Some hospitals give u results the same day, but others you have to wait 7-10 days for results. Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->