Ntnp/ttc

MummyKP

Reaction score
Just wandering how others see this really. I see them very similar, the biggest difference is TTC you are charting, temp, OPKs etc, whereas NTNP is a relaxed approach. We will be NTNP next month so moving away from WTT and half of me thinks I should go onto the ttc group, other half thinks NTNP. At the end of the day we are all hoping for the same thing and doing similar things so is there really much difference, particularly in the conversations on each forum?

For me personally, the difference is that in TTC you are charting, temping, and using OPKs. NTNP is just ditching the birth control. However, there are some who are NTNP who have a "if it happens, it happens" mentality, where others are really trying to make it happen, just without those TTC aides. I'm currently NTNP, but I bounce between the NTNP and TTC forums, some of the conversations are similar, although in TTC, they are typically focused more on your cd/dpo since most TTCers know when they ovulated.

For me, NTNP is still essentially trying. Whenever we do move on from WTT we will be NTNP and I'll think of that as us trying to have a baby without all the added pressure of charting etc that I consider to be TTC. I'd say just go to whichever part you feel comfortable. I think by that point everyone is *sort of* aiming for the same thing.

Yeah we will most definitely be the NTNP half of it, so maybe it should be there I will need to post if worried as I won't know my exact ovulation dates, but will be a little aware of it. I will certainly be DTD more around the middle of my cycle though, and I will be aware of my cm until we do conceive, so I guess I'm a little in between!

I honestly didnt know what temping or opks were until i started browsing the forums. So i would consider NTNP to be more of having unprotected intercourse whenever you feel like it without bothering to increase the frequency around ovulation.
TTC would be an awareness of the time or rough time of when i ovulate, and trying to BD more then. I would give it 6 months to a year before i start temping... depending on how badly i find myself wanting that bfp!

To me if you're trying for a baby then you're TTCing whether using anything to pinpoint ovulation or not, as long as you're trying around the right time.

If you're just having sex without any protection and not worried whether you get pregnant then you're NTNP.

When I first came to this forum I didn't like being told that I was NTNP just because I wasn't temping or using OPKs. We always did it round about ovulation time for almost a year before I starting using OPKs. For that year I would get into a right state with each 2ww where I wasn't sure if I was late or just having a longer cycle. Will definitely be using OPKs straight away for number 2 to ease the stress.

I honestly didnt know what temping or opks were until i started browsing the forums. So i would consider NTNP to be more of having unprotected intercourse whenever you feel like it without bothering to increase the frequency around ovulation.
TTC would be an awareness of the time or rough time of when i ovulate, and trying to BD more then. I would give it 6 months to a year before i start temping... depending on how badly i find myself wanting that bfp!

I agree that NTNP would be more unplanned and not observing any signs of ovulation but there are definitely different levels of TTC. I think on the NTNP board I saw someone who called what she did as 'trying, not planning' indicating was that she was not quite charting but not casually NTNP either.

I like the trying not planning idea lol we will be trying if you ask me....we won't be using protection like we always have and I will be more aware of my o day than I have been before because it wasn't until recently that I realised that you have to pinpoint it so carefully lol so many people get pregnant without knowing they're ovulating etc so that will be more like our approach for the first three months. If nothing happens from then, I will start temping and charting cm more so I know I am actually ovulating.

Did it take you a year of NTNP to conceive missbabes?

I'm not charting or temping coz it's a lot of effort and I wake up too often at night for temping to work. I've gotten pregnant just fine using OPKs alone.

I'm just going to keep with the OPKs.

Ntnp for me was basically ditching the birth control and continue sex life as normal without paying any attention to ovulation/timing etc in the hopes of becoming pregnant and really that's what the majority of people irl do when they want a baby.
Ttc was always that step further, timing, I opks etc which to be honest I didn't think anyone really did unless they'd been struggling to conceive until I joined the forum.
Xx

RaspberryK I hope you don't mind me asking but did you TTC or NTNP with your LOs? I am hoping we won't need to activity ttc and will conceive by not preventing it, but I guess we all hope for that!

Ds was ntnp, I came off the pill Aug, waited 80 days for my period during which time we didn't use other protection, had one period and got pregnant that cycle my bfp was between Christmas and New Year so 4 months ntnp.
We used breastfeeding and pull out method for over 2 years as our contraceptive and we (dh) had a whoops when we were supposed to be wtt. That ended in mmc.
I fell pregnant with this baby second cycle following the miscarriage.
First cycle dh pulled out although I was trying out opks, second cycle I was doing opks but we didn't schedule sex accordingly it was just as and when.
Xx

Thanks for the reply Raspberry K it is always nice to read about people's stories :) sorry for your loss x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->