• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Nuchal fold test is fine :-)

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
A few of you asked yesterday to let you know when I got my nuchal fold test results. Well, we got them last night and the consultant said we are low risk (considering my age), so we are well chuffed. We have now announced officially, so we can now relax and chat openly to everybody about our pg :)

Bit of a coincidence - I texted one of my friends this morning to let her know, but I hadn't heard back from her all day. I was getting ready to call her and check all was well, when I got a reply ... she was in labour this morning so couldn't reply immediately! (Baby was early, so was a surprise to me - but it was a fab home birth and they're all fine.)

yay! Great news! :) and you must be off to 2nd tri very shortly .... lucky you!

did you have to pay for ur nuchal scan?? we've been told if we want a scan we have to pay in region of £100??

did you have to pay for ur nuchal scan?? we've been told if we want a scan we have to pay in region of £100??

We did have to pay, but it depends on where you live in the UK, as some NHS Trusts do if free of charge (ours will in the summer, but it was too late for us by then!). We paid about 180 quid - that was for the combined nuchal fold test and associated blood tests.

i dont know whether to pay for one or not, i'm really torn, midwife said we could decide wether to get a scan after blood tests im soo confused

i dont know whether to pay for one or not, i'm really torn, midwife said we could decide wether to get a scan after blood tests im soo confused

It depends on several things (in my opinion).

First, unless you may act on the results of the scan (which could in theory mean amniocentesis at best or termination at worse), then do you want the scan? Is there any reason to have the scan if you will carry on exactly as before? This is an extremely difficult decision to make, so it's good that you can't decide, if you see what I mean - it means that you're having to think about it.

Second, I had my nuchal test done privately at 12 weeks, whereas the midwife blood test wouldn't have been done until 15 weeks. Now, I know it's only the difference of three weeks, but personally I would find it a lot easier to make a hard decision at 12 weeks than at 15 weeks. Do you see what I mean there?

Third, I am by no means young (when it comes to pg), and so my risk of chromosomal problems is quite high. If you're young, then the risk reduces considerably.

This whole subject is very emotive and can cause all sorts of things to go round in your head. Whatever you choose, you'll probably always wonder whether the other option would have been a better one - but trust your instincts, as sometimes your body really does know what's best, whether that means having the test or not having the test.

Hope this helps a little.
xx

i'm 22, and i feel deep down that should i be told im high risk for d/syndrome i would most likely terminate as i have a form of cerebral palsy which is degenerative i know i wouldnt be able to look after them in their 20's/30 or later years as i'll need extra help myself, i've no idea what to do... weather to pay to test earllier or hold out and hope like mad

Colsy, I hope you don't mind me asking: did they give you results (or at least tell you what they're thinking) on the spot? I have my nuchal next week and then immediately fly out of the country that night, so if they don't tell me anything on the spot I will have two weeks of hard waiting in front of me. Thanks!

Colsy, I hope you don't mind me asking: did they give you results (or at least tell you what they're thinking) on the spot? I have my nuchal next week and then immediately fly out of the country that night, so if they don't tell me anything on the spot I will have two weeks of hard waiting in front of me. Thanks!

No worries at all - ask away! First, bear in mind that I went privately (I had no option - our NHS Trust doesn't do nuchal fold scans yet), so if you are going NHS it may be a different story from what I experienced. Anyway, the consultant measured the fold during a very normal ultrasound. He then typed the measurement of the fold into the computer, along with my age, and gave me on the spot a risk factor based purely on those two things. He then took blood (only one tube) (and he was really good for a doctor - in my experience, doctors are terrible at taking blood compared with nurses!), which had to be sent off to the lab. Normally, I would have got the result from the blood test two days later, but Easter got in the way, so it was actually a week. Anyway, once the blood result comes in, the doctor then adds that to the equation in his computer, so finally he uses the blood test, the nuchal fold and my age to create a final risk factor.

I should mention that we requested to have the blood test done. Some people have only the nuchal fold test, without the blood. We went for everything because I am a slightly higher risk because I am mid thirties.

As for getting your results, if they don't tell you there and then, could they contact you on your mobile while you're overseas? Or maybe they could contact, say, a member of your family, who could then pass on the info to you?

Good luck with the test, and hope you have a great trip, wherever you're off to. xx

Thank you so much Colsy. I think they do things a little differently here in the US, because both the nuchal and the blood test are pretty standard between 11 and 13 weeks. Glad to hear at least they will tell me the measurements for the nuchal fold test. I figured the blood test would have to take a few days. I guess the best way would be for them to leave a message on my home machine and I will be checking my messages like crazy :). My cell phone only works on and off in Europe. Thanks again for your detailed description, have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

SCC, I didn't realise you were in the US, so I should think some of my info may be a bit different for you. However it's does, I wish you loads of luck and a very happy pg. xx

Thats great news colsy! When i went in for my scan there was a couple waiting for a nuchal scan and i thought of you!!!

Hope your ok, did you get any scan piccies?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"