nuchal scan at 12weeks, need insight

vs011

Reaction score
I'm going to have NT nuchal translucency scan at 12w3d. Will the baby be big enough they will just use the abdominal ultrasound through the whole scan or could there be a possibility they'll use vaginal probe? My dating scan, they use vaginal probe and I had cramps for 2 days. I'm not looking forward to going through that again! I told my ob gyn and she just waved it off that it was a normal thing that happens and possibly my cervix was irritated. So I feel like most doctors won't take this complaint seriously and will have you do vaginal scan anyway just to see anything. But I'm not feeling too happy about it.

When did you get your nt scan and was it only the abdominal scan?

It should be just abdominal and baby is plenty big enough by then. I've never heard of them doing it the other way at 12 weeks xx

They only do vaginal if the baby is in a really awkward position stopping them from getting all the measurements. It's abdominal 95% of the time :)

Abdominal. I doubt even if the baby was in a wierd position they would do a tv scan at 12 weeks. There is lots of ways they can make the baby move if they need a better pic. Xx

Abdominal (although if hard to get measurements they might try vaginal, they did with my son but went back to abdominal). It will be great - baby will look like a baby! It is amazing :) Good luck!

When I got my NT scan the very first thing the tech said was: "Lucky you! No more vaginal ultrasounds!"
Loved my NT scan, BTW, it was a great reassurance.

When I was pregnant with my son they had to do a tv scan at one stage due to the position he was lying in. But for 3/4 of the scan it was abdominal.

For my 12 week ultrasound they did end up having to use a probe as well, but it was because despite having followed their fluid intake directions my bladder was not full enough. Just make sure your bladder is full enough and it should be avoidable.

Odd though because I have heard several women complain about discomfort after a transvaginal ultrasound, and it makes me wonder what kind of brutes these technicians are since mine only had me insert it about and inch before she took over to look around and it was totally painless.

From about 8 weeks and onwards they tend to do abdominal where at all possible. I don't know of anyone personally who had a tv at 12 weeks.

I agree with Insomniash, I've never had an awkward or uncomfortable tv, maybe the tech wasn't using enough lubricant :shrug:

Agree with above posters. I'm still surprised some ladies here have ended up with tv at 12 weeks. I don't know anyone who has had it after 8 weeks or so and as pp stated all my tv scan were uneventful as well. No pain. In fact I just had an ultrasound last week and she said she didn't even need to do the TV ...She was able to see hb and fetal pole and whatnot abdominally which surprised me cuz I have a big stomach (usually harder to see clearly) but by 12 weeks the baby looks so much bigger like a proper lil person!

Agree with above posters. I'm still surprised some ladies here have ended up with tv at 12 weeks. I don't know anyone who has had it after 8 weeks or so and as pp stated all my tv scan were uneventful as well. No pain. In fact I just had an ultrasound last week and she said she didn't even need to do the TV ...She was able to see hb and fetal pole and whatnot abdominally which surprised me cuz I have a big stomach (usually harder to see clearly) but by 12 weeks the baby looks so much bigger like a proper lil person!

You bring up a valid point actually, I am plus sized so that likely contributed to the need for a trans vaginal ultrasound. The technician was on the fence about it being necessary, but ultimately decided we could use a bit of a better look, and she took the opportunity to look at my cervix as well, so I was thankful for it.

Yup! Even on my 20 week anatomy scan depending on how the baby is cooperating they don't get great visibility. Of course by then it's definitely only abdominal. Lol I just like to think my babies have a master bedroom with en suite to chill in while doing their time lol..

Yup! Even on my 20 week anatomy scan depending on how the baby is cooperating they don't get great visibility. Of course by then it's definitely only abdominal. Lol I just like to think my babies have a master bedroom with en suite to chill in while doing their time lol..

Lol a very positive way to look at it. Love it :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->