Numb/Painful fingers?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Anderson8, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Anderson8

Anderson8 Well-Known Member

the past few weeks ive been getting this in the night in my thumb, index and middle fingers on both hands. its now starting during the day sometimes.
    ive been googling and the most plausible explanation is carpal tunnel syndrome as my blodd pressure and urine are all good.

is anyone suffering from this? any tips to alleviate this?

2. dan-o

dan-o RMC's but mum to 3 now!

My joint has been a bit funny in my left thumb and I can't form a tight fist with my right hand. This has only happened in the last few weeks.

I also had an issue in the first tri with a couple of random swellings appearing over the top of places where I had broken bones years ago. My GP has explained it as random pregnancy related oddities which will go away with time.

She was right with the random swellings anyway, they vanished at about 13 weeks.

:flower:

3. leahsbabybump

leahsbabybump Mummy to 3

it may be carpa tunnel syndrome there isnt much you can do about it really it will go away after birth if thats what it is my MIL had it but it wasnt related to pregnancy and the only way to stop it was surgery but i did hear if it is defo pregnancy related it will just get better after birth xx

4. coral11680

coral11680 mother of 3

yes it is carpal tunnel and I have it too. I also had it in my other 2 pregnancies and it was relieved shortly after the birth.

5. Anderson8

thanks, its terrible at night and i often encorparate the pain into my dreams!

6. Shiv

Shiv Mummy to Sophia and Cora

I had this with my first (dreading getting it again this time round) - soaking your hands in a bowl of cool water can alleviate the pain which is caused initially by swelling of the joints.

Unfotunately for me mine didn't disappear until a couple of months after I had given birth.

7. Moti

Moti Angel Mommy

It's carpal tunnel. I had it with my first pregnancy. It was mostly in my right hand and took about 6-8 weeks after he was born for the numbness to go away completely. It did ease up quite a bit in those weeks after he was born though.

My doctor suggested wearing one of those wrist supports to help it.

Fingers crossed - haven't had any symptoms with this pregnancy so far.

8. lm81

lm81 Well-Known Member

Ive had this, went to physio - got splints - didnt work, ive now taught myself to sleep on my side and hang the hand over the edge of the bed, to help the blood flow, they are still tight and feel a little swollen but nothing like they used to, see if that works.
    I find that I now do that whilst practically sleeping so it doesnt wake me like it used to either.

9. Anderson8

lm81- not long to go now!
    ive been trying to sleep differently but i somehow get y arms into a position where it hurts and i wake up. gonna speak to my midwife tomorrow cause its now hurting at work, im at a computer all day!