Nurse said can't hear the heartbeat at 8wks???

Hoping4Babe

Pregnant and Healthy!!!
Reaction score
I'm going to get my pelvic exam tomorrow, and when the nurse called to remind me of my appointment I asked her if we would get to here the heartbeat and if it was okay for my husband to come in with me? She said that 8 weeks is too early for heartbeat. Am I crazy or shouldn't there be a heartbeat by 8+1.

There IS a heart beat at 8 weeks, but it is very rare to pick it up on the doppler.

There is a heartbeat at 8 weeks generally... That said, it's far too difficult to locate with just a doppler. Often they won't even try looking for it until at least 14 weeks as trying and not finding it earlier can be really stressful. If you were to have an early scan they would be able to see/ hear it via the ultrasound machine

I disagree, I went yesterday when I was 8+2 and we heard the heartbeat through an abdominal ultrasound so you should definitely hear it through a vaginal one. I think she should have said it's possible but if you have trouble hearing it don't worry because that's common too.

Good luck, demand what you want from your doctor.

I wasn't pleased with my appointment yesterday and now I'm regretting it.

They couldn't hear it with doppler yesterday, I'm going in for u/s today though cause they scared me so bad I insisted on it (although they were not worried at all).
My husband goes to all my appointments with me, whether they are doing the u/s or not, so I would just assume he can come in and don't even ask them:)

i've never heard the HB before 14 weeks but thats cuz i am morbidly obese.
are you your recomended weight? as this can alter things. xxxx

I disagree, I went yesterday when I was 8+2 and we heard the heartbeat through an abdominal ultrasound so you should definitely hear it through a vaginal one. I think she should have said it's possible but if you have trouble hearing it don't worry because that's common too.

Are they doing a vaginal ultrasound? or just a pelvic exam? An ultrasound, vaginal or abdominal, I agree that they should be able to hear it but if she is just going for a pelvic exam then they would just use a doppler and I think it's too early for a doppler to pick up reliably

I'm sure it depend on HOW they listen for the HB- if it's an external doppler, then odds are they won't be able to hear it. But YES, there is a HB much earlier. I was able to hear our babies HB at 6+4 with an internal scan machine that had a doppler built in (at our Fertility Clinic). With my most recent OB appt- they didn't hear the HB, as their machine doesn't have a built in doppler, but we did see it on the screen.

if you mean by using a doppler im not surprised they are super hard to hear that early on and they wont usually try until 14ish weeks. i found mine first time at 8+6 but it was super lucky & hours of searching lol. there is a heartbeat from 5 weeks but you can't hear it until later on xx

Are they doing a vaginal ultrasound? or just a pelvic exam? An ultrasound, vaginal or abdominal, I agree that they should be able to hear it but if she is just going for a pelvic exam then they would just use a doppler and I think it's too early for a doppler to pick up reliably

It is just a pelvic exam, I guess I just assumed they would check for some kind of heartbeat. I will ask the regular nurse again and doctor tomorrow. My doctor is super nice and very explanatory. She will ease my fears, I think I just didn't like the nurses snotty tone.

Yeah, there are some nurses out there who can get quite snooty, and it is so annoying!!

With just a pelvic exam/confirm appt--they won't be able to pick up the baby's hb on a doppler most likely at 8 wks.

However, if your doc orders an early u/s scan for you, they should be able to pick up the hb on an abdominal (external) or transvaginal (internal) u/s at 8 wks, so long as they have your dates right! We were able to get our baby's hb at 6.7 wks with a transvaginal u/s and at 7.6 wks with a abdominal u/s!

I was at my 14 week appointment yesterday and they couldn't find the heart beat on a doppler, and I am actually underweight for pregnancy... so sometimes weight has nothing to do with it.

I know the baby's heart is beating though because we recently had an ultrasound where we could track it.

My doctor wasn't concerned at all and said it is a 50/50 chance to hear it as early as I am, but she only really tried for about 2 minutes and gave me the option of having an ultrasound later in the week if I was feeling really anxious over not being able to hear anything.

She said she didn't think anything was wrong though.

8 weeks is definitely too early to be trying to find the heart beat with an external doppler.

All we could hear was my own, even though she was right above my pelvic bone.

We have our first u/s next Thursday... it's just felt like an eternity just getting to this day, and all I'm going to be doing is giving a whole bunch of blood and being violated by the salad tongs. :nope: Dang, I guess I'm just going to have to wait another week. So freaking weird being excited and aggravated at the same time... :muaha:

At eight weeks although the heart is developed and one can see the heart beating in both an abdominal and vaginal USG, it is not possible to hear it either through the Doppler. One can hear the foetal heartbeat at around 12-14 weeks by using the Doppler.

Thank you ladies for soothing my poor worn out nerves... (I think the strawberry milk shake helped out a little too). :icecream: I will just have to suck it up for another week. :wacko: It's just so exhausting that I don't know what's going on in there. I have no symptoms except for sore boobs and alot of bloat (80 oz of water a day will do that, I guess :thumbup:).

I heard mine at 8+2. And it wasn't vaginal, they picked it up fine.. I didn't even know I was pregnant until I was about 7 weeks, so I don't know how early they can detect it. :( Hugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->