Nutramigen 1 formula - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by hulahoop09, Nov 17, 2011.

1. hulahoop09

hulahoop09 Mum to lg and pg #2

Hiya

Okay so LO has been having problems (see previous posts) and doctor now thinks she may have a lactose intolerance. He give prescription for Nutramigem 1 formula which I started LO on yesterday afternoon. She seems more comfortable on it but her poop has gone from being quite sloppy and yellow to quite pale and almost like a crunchy peanut butter texture I was wondering if anyone has experience of this milk and knows if this is normal?

Also do you know how long it can take for the milk to properly work as doctor said to let him know friday (tomorrow) how she is getting on but I wasnt sure if that is enough time for it to properly get into her system. She still has symptoms etc but last night she had a really good night and slept from 1am til 7.20am when I woke her!

xx

2. dpayne

dpayne Well-Known Member

Hey, can take 72 hours for most symptoms to go but can take up to a month for stomach to heal inside. Your doc hasn't given you long enough to try it really, some babies can seem better for a few days then get bad again as the milks still not right. I would ask your doctor for more milk, you really need to try it for at least 2 weeks. If no better after that time may not be lactose but dairy your Lo has a problem with. X

3. hulahoop09

Thanks. I have gotta call him tomorrow to let him know. I will ask to trial for couple of weeks I think. The one we have got is for management of cows milk allergy soya (protein) allergy and lactose intolerance! Xx

4. dpayne

dpayne Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. Even though nutrimegan is for lactose intol and milk allergy it still contains a small amount of milk, most babies are fine with this but a small percent aren't and need a milk that has none in at all. Your milk has no lactose so if your Lo isn't right after a few weeks she may need the other milk. Hope that makes sense. Hopefully its just the lactose :) Xx

5. hulahoop09

Ah okay. Thats a bit strange of them! Is the other same name or different? Can I get this from doctors also? I am keeping my fx'd it works for her. Last night was a good one as she slept from 1am til when I woke her at 7.20 yet normally she would wake probably every hour with the other milk struggling etc. xx

6. dpayne

dpayne Well-Known Member

Tell me about it I've had a nightmare with my lo, nutrimegan is cows milk based but the proteins which is what babies are allergic too are broken down so there barely there. The other milk is called neocate and is made from amino acids and not cows milk protein, it costs 3 times the amount, needless to say because its so expensive doctors try babies on nutrimegan first as most are fine with it. Normally a paed or dietition will prescribe neocate, your doc would refer you. I think only 10% of allergy babies need neocate so hopefully your lo will do well on nutrimegan Xx

7. hulahoop09

Ah thats good to hear, so fingers crossed for this then!!! Yesterday she was settling really well and when she was awake she wasnt as whingy and struggling as much. She has still had episodes of punching the air I am thinking this may just be her and sometimes crying when trying to or passing a BM which I hope getrs easier for her. xx

8. dpayne

dpayne Well-Known Member

Ah bless her its still early days, got my fingers crossed for you it works Xx

9. hulahoop09

Thanks hun. Yeah thats what I said when I went doctors cause all they seemed to be doing was filling her with meds!! Thanks again for the help and advice hun. xx

10. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

Actually there are two types of nutrimigen, Lipil and AA, the AA version is amino-acid based and virtually the same as neocate; it is the Lipil version that in this country is made from heavily broken down milk proteins (but in other countries the Lipil indicates the added nutrients and still may be the amino acid based version). The poo sounds normal to me though and nothing to worry about xx

11. hulahoop09

Thanks. We have the Lipl version. Xx

12. dpayne

dpayne Well-Known Member

I always forget about the AA one doh x