O/T: How to get a UK driver's license?

Green Lady

Reaction score
We don't actually have a car but I've been thinking for ages about getting a UK driver's license. I do know how to drive and have an (expired) American license but I'm a bit confused as to how to get one here. After you get your provisional license, what happens then? Do you need to take lessons? Where do you actually go to take the test to get a full license? Does the instructor give you the test? Sorry for the list of questions! :flower:

you have to take lessons and then you take a theory test and once that is done you can apply for your practical test which your instructor will help you apply for.

Its alot harder to get a UK drivers licence.

xx

Hello Green Lady, have a look at this link:

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/index.htm

this explains everything that you have to do. There is also a section about driving on a foreign licence.

You apply for a provisional ..
Take lessons ..
Do a theory test, once you pass you can then do a practical test when your at test standard

Thanks everyone, but looking into all this I think I'll put it off for awhile. I can't believe how expensive it is with the fees and lessons. In the US I think a license costs $25 and you can basically just show up at the DMV and take a test. :dohh:

Not here!

It's £50 to just get your provisional, about £20 pound a lesson! And the theory is just under £30 I think..
And when you do your test you Pay about £50 for the test + the price of the car!

It can be exspensive!

Hey Green Lady. Unfortunately you will need to get a provisional licence and then firstly sit the theory and then practical driving test here in the UK.

If you have driven before then its likely you wont need to start from scratch, more just a refresher course. Any reputable driving school will take you for an assesment lesson and outline what they think you will need in terms of hours to get you ready for the test.

I am a driving instructor and most of what I teach learners is about road sense and reading situations rather than the actual physical operating of the car, you will likely find that you already have a good grasp of this from your previous driving experience.

You will need to have your provisional licence in your hand before you can take a lesson or book a theory test and you will find out how to apply and the costs for this here:

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyA/DG_10032690

With good preparation the theory test should not cause you any problems and again a good driving instructor will incorporate ways to help you with this into each of your lessons.

I'm not sure where in the UK you are but here in Scotland the industry average for lessons is £27 per hour. Some schools offer lessons at a much cheaper rate but do check as often these schools use partly trained instructors. A fully qualified instructor will display a "green badge" an example of which you can see here:

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022528

Best of luck.

Sarah.xxx

i pay £26 a lesson, and then you pay £60 for the test date plus another £60 for hire of the car. It is a pricey game to play!!

Im on my 5th test this tuesday, i hope i pass because otherwise im going to have to retake my theory because they only last 2 years.

xx

i pay £26 a lesson, and then you pay £60 for the test date plus another £60 for hire of the car. It is a pricey game to play!!

Im on my 5th test this tuesday, i hope i pass because otherwise im going to have to retake my theory because they only last 2 years.

xx

Good luck with your test Charlotte88!:flower:

Sarah.xxx

thanks hun, feels like it is taking FOOOOREVER lol.
If i dont do it this time im going to wait untill the baby is here because ill need to start from the beginning again. xx

how did you have to pay for hire of the car? :s.. never heard of that, but i suppose its where abouts you live :)

i payed £17 an hour lesson and only had to pay the price of the test and for the lesson i had before my test, that was last year tho, so things may have changed since then.

Charlotte88 - good luck with your test too hun, sure youll do fine, keep us updated! :flower: xx

Well you pay for the hour before your test ... And then you pay for the hire of the car on your test...

Makes a 2 hr lesson so 40-50pounds

Thanks, Sarah! I was hoping I wouldn't need much in the way of lessons, just a refresher like you said. I think I might go ahead and apply for my provisional license and keep it on hold till I could get some lessons sorted.

xx

Good luck on your test! That would really start to add up after awhile.

how did you have to pay for hire of the car? :s.. never heard of that, but i suppose its where abouts you live :)

i payed £17 an hour lesson and only had to pay the price of the test and for the lesson i had before my test, that was last year tho, so things may have changed since then.

Charlotte88 - good luck with your test too hun, sure youll do fine, keep us updated! :flower: xx

by hire of car i mean like the hour before and hour during the test because you pay your instructor to wait around whilst you do the test.

this time im doing it in my mums car because my instructor wasnt able to do the date for me. Maybe it will be my lucky mascot hehe

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->