OB couldn't tell position?

apreslaube

Reaction score
Hello all. I had an appointment yesterday and I was 35+5. The OB was unable to tell the position of Edison by just feeling my tummy. She said if they can't determine it at next week's appointment they will have to do an ultrasound. Has this happened to anyone else and should I be concerned? I do have anterior placenta so I wonder if that is making a difference? I have no idea his position because I'm feeling kick type movement at the cervix and and my ribs.

You're lucky they even tried to determine position. My OB checks the HR and fundal measurement and that's all I've gotten for the past 3 appts.

I know with position it's not always 100% accurate bc baby still has time to turn. At least that's what I've been told when I asked about positioning :shrug:

It's not uncommon for them to be unable to feel baby's position with certainty. Some babies have bony bums or happen to be lying funny or just the doctor or midwife isn't especially skilled (I think especially Ob's are more used to relying on technology than basic skills and so aren't always confident). My daughter was breech all through 3rd tri and I think turned at 34 weeks. The midwife who saw me at that appointment was pretty sure she had turned, but wasn't certain. I had a scan booked for 36 weeks anyway (because I'd had a low lying placenta, which was also anterior btw) and they were able to confirm then that she was definitely head down. Did she try checking the heartbeat with a doppler? Usually they get the strongest doppler reading off baby's shoulder, so it can be a good indicator of how baby is lying. If she found it below your belly button, it's a good sign baby is head down.

She did not try with the doppler but the nurse beforehand did. They found the heartbeat in basically the same spot as where its been the entire pregnancy which is about just above the belly button and to the left a few inches.

I have an anterior placenta too but based on where I`m getting kicked the hardest and most frequently they quickly figured out that baby is lying head down towards left hip, feet up in my ribs. I get soft movements down lower from the arms & hands and hard big movements up top. It`s been like this for the past 2 months in the same position. The OB did say she has problems sometimes but they have methods to help them figure it out.

I wouldn't say that there is a need to "worry". I know that my lo was a frank breech and we heard the heartbeat is the same spot. Breech is not all that worrisome and often times babies turn head down.

I have the same experience. I have an anterior placenta and have only had babys heartbeat picked up by Doppler below belly button. I'm carrying very low and think she is breech but at last weeks appt the doctor did a Doppler and said she could not tell the baby's position. I was told on 9/25 we will do an ultrasound to determine as my c-section is scheduled for 9/28

OBs in USA will do pelvic exams from 36th week to see if baby is head down. That's what my OB did for me.
No idea how OB can tell just by feeling your stomach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->