OB-GYN Appointment- RANT

WannabemomV

Reaction score
I had a OB-GYN appointment today to see if he could give me a little hindsight on what is going on and Why I am not pregnant yet and what a waste of time. The only thing I learnt from that appointment was how to clean mascara off my face with spit and a tissue before arriving back to work.
Basically he told me there is Nothing they are willing to do for me until 2 TWO YEARS of TTC. That 10 cycles is Nothing... That he doesn't count Cycles but MONTHS and since I didn't stop my BC pills until June 26th and it can take 3 months for them to get out of my system, I have only been technically TTC for 4 months. (Yet in those "4 Months" I have had 7 cycles???)

I mentioned that everywhere I read it says 1 year of TTC and since I am on cycle 10 (and thought it would take longer to get an appoinment) I would come in.. He said Go home and Not think about TTC (Yeah Right) and if it doesn't happen in another year and a half to give them a call. He said Not to keep track of when my period arrives or ends???? I asked How am I supposed to know when I am late then and he said "Oh you will figure it out when your period doesn't arrive???"

The thought of having to go through this for another year and a half before even getting my DH sperm tested or a simple blood test to see if I am ovulating is just too much for me.. I mean I wasnt going there today to ask for IVF or anything.. I just want some answers..

Oh I am Devastated. I just don't know what to do...

WannabemomV, I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience. He sounds like he's in the wrong job - he was so insensitive to you! Is there anyone else you can see? I'm a bit clueless how the healthcare system works in the US (I'm in the UK) but can you get a second opinion from a different physician? x

I had a OB-GYN appointment today to see if he could give me a little hindsight on what is going on and Why I am not pregnant yet and what a waste of time. The only thing I learnt from that appointment was how to clean mascara off my face with spit and a tissue before arriving back to work.
Basically he told me there is Nothing they are willing to do for me until 2 TWO YEARS of TTC. That 10 cycles is Nothing... That he doesn't count Cycles but MONTHS and since I didn't stop my BC pills until June 26th and it can take 3 months for them to get out of my system, I have only been technically TTC for 4 months. (Yet in those "4 Months" I have had 7 cycles???)

I mentioned that everywhere I read it says 1 year of TTC and since I am on cycle 10 (and thought it would take longer to get an appoinment) I would come in.. He said Go home and Not think about TTC (Yeah Right) and if it doesn't happen in another year and a half to give them a call. He said Not to keep track of when my period arrives or ends???? I asked How am I supposed to know when I am late then and he said "Oh you will figure it out when your period doesn't arrive???"

The thought of having to go through this for another year and a half before even getting my DH sperm tested or a simple blood test to see if I am ovulating is just too much for me.. I mean I wasnt going there today to ask for IVF or anything.. I just want some answers..

Oh I am Devastated. I just don't know what to do...

OMG thats awful treatment! Can you see a different doctor? If that was mine i would be changing immediately, i bet he doesn't have any children, or a wife...what an a**hole...

:hugs:

sorry you had a bad experience wannabemom :( he does sound like he has no sensitivity! do you have to see him or can you change doctors? is there an official time scale for seeking medical help in canada? I thaught it was 1 year, Im on cycle 6 and i would do the same as you and visit a doc near the 1 year mark. Have you been BBT and OPK ing? best of luck hun, hopefully you get your BFP this month and dont have to see that doc again. hugs from me :hugs:

And I'm also sorry I added insult to injury by asking about the US healthcare system when you're in Canada! SORRY!

What a total a hole! I agree with the ladies above. If i were you, i would try another doctor. Or i would write a strongly worded letter! xx

I would go and see someone else if you can. Also, if you don't already then maybe you should start charting your BBT and using OPK's to check everything is working.

I have a family doctor (whom I have an appointment with on Wednesday for another matter) so I will talk to him then. I have been going to this OB-GYN for around 5 years now, ever since my family doctor refered me to him because I was having breakthrough bleeding, bleeding during sex and paps that were coming back abnormal.. He has normally been so dear..
I went in with a print out of monthly Calendar from June 2010 till Now with the days marked in Red for Af and Blue for the day I Oed on each cycle. I also printed up a list of cycles saying when my cycle started, Oed and when my cycle ended and started up again. I put in there each month if I used an OKP, what vitamins I took each month along with any other "special" thing I did that month . Along with when we DTD. I just started temping this cycle and took that with me. He didn't even want to look at these things.. Just said he wouldn't do anything for 2 YEARS..
I am stil in shock. If I didn't O yesterday I would be having a STRONG vodka Martini right about now...

oh Im so sorry to hear this hugs xxx I too had the most awful gyno with my first son. I walked in and she said that basically I was REALLY bad and gave me a disgusted look that I'm over weight...and said i would have all sorts of complications... she was like a freakin stick insect!! lol anyhow 9 months pregnancy and no complications.. she still would have moaned is id lost a few stone... nasty! xxxx

Find a new doctor! I have been trying for 10 months as well and my doctor started doing tests at 6 months. This is a little early for some but mine told me from the beginning that she would see me if I wasn't pregnant in 6 months. I really like having someone I know is on my side. You need to find someone who understands your want to be a mom and will do anything to help you achieve that!:hugs:

Seriously go see a different doctor. The rule is 1 year of unprotected sex and If you have to then fudge your 10 cycles into 12 if that is what it takes. NO doctor should be like that to a patient, your doctor is basically changed the 1 year rule so that he doesn't have to do his job.

Holy crap and I thought they were supposed to be helpful! What a jerk!! So sorry you had to deal with his crap hun, maybe call some other clinics? :hugs:

Honestly you need to file a grievence agaisnt him. No doctor is allowed to treat a patient like that! Doctors want you to keep track and they go according to cycles, not months and after 12 months you should be able to get help!
I would switch and file a grievence! That's just horrible how he treated you!:hugs:

I'm really sorry. I hope your family doctor can help you figure things out or perhaps give you a better referral.

I agree about getting a new doctor! I went in for my yearly last month and when she asked if I was on anything or needed bc I said no I was ttc 2 months she gave me prenatals and gave me lots of handouts on what to eat/what to stay away from to ttc and talked awhile about the stages early pregnancy/baby devolpment and was really nice about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->