Obsteatrician

monst_18

I Love being Alfies Mummy
Reaction score
Hello ladies

i am a larger lady 18-20 and have been refered to see an obstatrician as my BMI is high - also means i can't have options of home birth etc in case of complications.

So far i have been very lucky and have had a good pegnancy - touch wood. i have my appointment on friday and i have no idea what to expcect - has anyone else had to do similar? and what do they ask/go through?

Thanks

x

I don't know about the OBs in the UK but over here, they aren't bad. Most pregnant women here see OBs rather than midwives, anyway. They really don't do things much different than a midwife would do other than sending off for more tests (then again, this may just be MY OB. :p). My OB is more than happy to listen to questions and concerns, go over my birth plan with me and offer advice on some of my choices (for instance, I want to avoid Pitocin so he has explained when and why he, personally, uses it). Usually, if you've educated yourself on things and speak to them professionally, they are more than happy to take your wishes into consideration.

Again, I stress that this may just be my personal experience with my OB in the States. Not sure if things vary that much over there.

my OB is fabulous - appointments are very routine - check urine, weight, blood pressure, babys heartbeat, etc I see her every 4 weeks currently, frequency will increase as I progress (I think it becomes once every 2 weeks at 28 weeks, and then once a week at 34 or 36 weeks)

first appointment with her was very casual - she introduced herself, checked my blood pressure, answered questions...

but she answers any questions I have, I never feel rushed, couldn't ask for more! :) hope your experience is just as wonderful!

I'm also a larger lady (size 24/26), and was referred to a consultant.

At my first appointment (at about 14/15 weeks) he tested my urine, weighed me, took my blood pressure, and checked the baby's heartbeat. We also chatted about the reasons I was there (weight, sister being type 1 diabetic, and family history of high blood pressure in pregnancy).

He then told me that because of my size, the hospital would insist I had a consultation with the aneasthetist (sp?) about possible scenarios during labour. I've not yet heard anything from the hospital about this yet.

My consultant said that there was nothing to worry about, and that myself and baby both seemed perfectly healthy, and I now don't have to see him till I'm 30 weeks!

My consultant is really lovely - he reminds me of a young Father Christmas type!! Slightly chubby with a greying beard!! He didn't make me feel bad for being big and pregnant, and was just lovely to me.

I hope you have as good an experience with your OB as I did. :hugs:

I've also got an OB, high BMI and prev medical complications, (DVT) however my pregnancy is still considered 'midwife led' they've basically got me as low risk pregnancy with high risk needs.
What this means in practise is I get best of both worlds. routine appointments with MW, and in addition to this appointments with OB every 8 wks (currently) that will then move down to 4wks/2wks, On top of this I'm seeing a heamatoligist every 4wks to monitor my blood.
All in all I'm super pleased, I'm being well looked after from all angles, and all Dr/MW's are happy to work towards the type of birth I want, Home birth isn't an option but then it really wasn't for me anyway due to my flat size and I'm just not keen on it for a first birth.

Thanks Ladies - this is very helpful and i am so glad you have all had positive experiences - i guess thats a plus - that its another person to take care of you!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"