Odd question, lol

skippy

Got my furbabies :)
Reaction score
Well me and OH are looking to go to America to work before attempting to become permenent residents, this will be when we are 20, and then a few years later we are going to apply for permenent residency (already have the job offer and everything, so no need to worry about that) but we'll be TTC when we're 21, and if I do end up pregnant and have the baby in America...what happens then? Is the baby and American Citizen or what? Will we have to leave the US?

thanks for any repliess:flower:

This is something you're going to want to research very thoroughly b/c it so important, so I'm guessing you might want to check the INS website. But as I understand the law on this, there's birthright Citizenship in the U.S. If you are born here you are a citizen. But as far as parents go, that is a huge hot button issue. Parents are not automatically given citizenship after having children on U.S. soil. There has been lots of concern in the media about parents being separated from children (who they choose to leave in the U.S.) But if you are planning on becoming a naturalized citizen, and you succeed, this won't be an issue at all. If that didn't happen, you could always of course take the child with you and apply for citizenship for the child in your native country. Good luck.

This is something you're going to want to research very thoroughly b/c it so important, so I'm guessing you might want to check the INS website. But as I understand the law on this, there's birthright Citizenship in the U.S. If you are born here you are a citizen. But as far as parents go, that is a huge hot button issue. Parents are not automatically given citizenship after having children on U.S. soil. There has been lots of concern in the media about parents being separated from children (who they choose to leave in the U.S.) But if you are planning on becoming a naturalized citizen, and you succeed, this won't be an issue at all. If that didn't happen, you could always of course take the child with you and apply for citizenship for the child in your native country. Good luck.

Thanks hun, I do plan on becoming naturalized citizen eventually anyways, was just wondering if we'd be deported or somehing,:flower:

I don't know why you'd be deported. That sounds silly.

If I understand right.. as long as you're a citizen, you're a citizen. As your child will be.

Except, I think that even if you weren't and your baby was born here, it would still be an American citizen. Like GirlBlue said, it's birthright.

I don't know why you'd be deported. That sounds silly.

If I understand right.. as long as you're a citizen, you're a citizen. As your child will be.

Except, I think that even if you weren't and your baby was born here, it would still be an American citizen. Like GirlBlue said, it's birthright.

I saw something on the news where this woman had a baby in the US and tried to get citizenship and they wouldn't let her and deported her because they thought she just had a baby to stay in the US.:shrug:

As long as you have filled out the proper paperwork and are not just trying to "sneak in", i.e. work visa, student visa, you know, stuff like that, you should be okay. I think what you heard of is people for instance from south of the border who try to exploit that rule to gain citizenship without doing it the right way. It's actually a very hot topic, and I don't want to offend anyone. I think the paperwork to get into this country is excessive, but a lot of that is because of 9/11. (I am not against immigration at all, I dig diversity and hate to see honest, hardworking people deported) Anyway, to answer your question. Just make sure you have the right paperwork filled out for the purposes that you're here. If you're going to have a baby, the baby will be a citizen, and I think actually has dual citizenship, unless they've changed those rules. They only deport you if you haven't filled out the right paperwork, or start really doing illegal stuff and getting into trouble stuff like that.

Your child will most definitely be a US citizen, but it will not determine if you get permanent residency or not or if you will be granted citizenship. I am from Scotland and have done the same coming to Canada, we have our little Canadian boy but we were permanent residents before we had him.

Yeah, your child would be a US citizen, but you can also file for dual citizenship I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->