Odds of Downs Syndrome are 1 in 850 ??

misscyn

Reaction score
I had my 13 week NT scan on Tuesday. Everything looked good, NT measure 1,8mm which was very good according to the technician performing the scan.
I felt good after and proceeded to announce my pregnancy at work. Today I got a call from the clinic saying my blood work (combined screening) revealed a moderate risk for Down's Syndrome of 1 in 850. Now I have to go for another blood test in 2 weeks.
Part of me thinks I shouldn't worry because a risk of 1 in 850 is a risk of 0,07%. But I'm still worried because I'm considered at moderate risk instead of low risk. Had I been low risk I would not have needed the second blood test.
Any insight would be appreciated. I'm 35 years old by the way.

Thanks.

I think your age bumps up the numbers quite a lot. I noticed a big difference between my first AMD second pregnancies even though they were only a year apart and I know a lot of other people have said the same. This time around I am opting for the NIFTY test which is 99% accurate for downs and a lot of other syndromes. I'm 37 so I know I will be at increased risk. Unfortunately it isn't cheap but it could be an option if you're still worried. One in 850 is still a very low figure. Did they explain what the next blood test will tell you?

My son was 1:89. I didn't have a second test. He is just fine.

Like one poster said, your age alone will bump you up. With my dd, I had a 1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18, and 1:17 for down syndrome. She didn't have any of those. My risk was so high because of my age. I think everything will be fine with your little one.

1 in 850 still sounds like low odds to me. It's a higher risk than anybody under 35, but not by much (March of Dimes says the odds are 1/1000 for somebody age 30 for example). Good to check, but I wouldn't worry about it too much (though if I got asked for a second blood test, I would be too!)

I think your age bumps up the numbers quite a lot. I noticed a big difference between my first AMD second pregnancies even though they were only a year apart and I know a lot of other people have said the same. This time around I am opting for the NIFTY test which is 99% accurate for downs and a lot of other syndromes. I'm 37 so I know I will be at increased risk. Unfortunately it isn't cheap but it could be an option if you're still worried. One in 850 is still a very low figure. Did they explain what the next blood test will tell you?

Something about the bood markers being more accurate at 15 weeks. After this second blood test i will be classified as low risk or high, in which case i will be offered something called the Panorama test. Not sure if this is similar to the NIFTY test.

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I'm going to try to put it at yhe back of my mind. It just sucks because i stressed for weeks about the NT test due to a previous mmc. I thought i was in the clear, now i have to wait another week and a half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->