Oh dear god, I was not prepared for this!

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by Boomerslady, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping some if you can offer some reassurance that this pain will go away, and also that what I'm feeling is normal (if it is why did no one warn me!!!)

I had my buba (still no name just yet!!) on Wednesday afternoon....so about 36 hours ago! I had an epidural and also an episitomy (sp) and 2nd degree tear. Also I now have piles so bug they are petruding past the edge of my cheeks (sorry for tmi) but I literally can't find my bumhole anymore!!!

I had to have 2 attempts at the epi (2nd one took nearly 2 hours to do, if I'd have known that I'd have prob not bothered!!)

Anyway along with the pain from the piles and stitches my legs have swollen sooo bad....I now offically have cankles and my thighs are sooo sore.

I this is wrong but peeing hurts sooo bad I'm finding myself not drinking to try and avoid it happening. If I do pee the only way it's possible is to get in the bath and hold the shower head between my legs!

Don't get me started on doing a number 2!! I'm not even contemplating that!

Sorry for the long post but I can barely stand/sit or lie down without something making me want to scream in pain :( oh and I can't stand upright on my own due to the back pain from the epi!

Has anyone got any advice? Reassuring words or general info that might help??

2. blessedbylife

blessedbylife Married Mom of 1 & Preggo

after i had my daughter i got so swollen i had to wear a hospital gown and socks home! Also, i stayed in the hospital for 3 days after, and i got cold packs and a numbing spray from my nurse. And i got the cold packs that they use when people sprain an ankle or something, they were huge! and you had to snap it and shake it to get cold. I put that underneath my pad and it was AMAZING! Good luck feeling better... everyone always says giving birth is difficult, but they never talk about the after pains!

3. purpledaisy2

purpledaisy2 Mummy to a gorgeous boy

Hiya hun,

I had 3 2nd degree tears when I had my LO and peeing was unbelievably painful for about 2ish weeks. I used a jug of water and tried to pour it at the same time as I peed.

I know how awful it is but it does get better

xx

4. Boomerslady

Thanks ladies :). It's good to know this is normal, but seriously why did no one tell me!!

I'm slowly improving, but still can't really sit down properly. Still having to get in the shower to pee!! I tried the jug trick, but because of the piles it hurts simply to sit on the loo (hence standing is much easier!) I just hope I don't get caught short when I go out anywhere!

I think nighttime is the worst, as I can't sit upright in bed to pick LO up from his Moses. So I have to completely get out of bed....

Anyway enough of my rambling, Merry Christmas!!!

5. louise1302

louise1302 mum to FIVE boys :)

a jug of warm water whne you pee is a good tip but peeing in the shower is good, the more you drink the better it will make your wee less acidic and it will sting lless when you do go
    a rubber ring to sit on, when i had stitches i couldnt have managed without it, just a cheap childs one will do
    salt baths also help the healing process and frozen flannels placed under your mat pad helped ease some of my pain too
    in 2 weeks youll be telling everyone it was nothing and you feel great :hugs:

6. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

yeah i was the same as you, i still cant sit normal, and sometimes peeing still kills, but i find the more i drink the less acidic it is so it doesnt hurt as much, was drinking loads of orange juice to try and absorb more iron as i am servely anemic but given up on that as it hurts so much!

I try to have a few warm baths a day with salt and lavender oil, esp since mine tore and got infected :'(

Cant really give you any tipe but i can say that you are normal and that i am ging through the same thing! its hard isnt it, gave up trying to breast feed as i couldnt sit right to be able to do it, would end up in tears from the pain each time so now my wee boy is on bottles and hubby can help too which made things a lot easier for me!

7. Boomerslady

Thanks very much :) the advice about drinking more so it's not acidic makes perfect sense, I'm still not brave enough to pee on the loo but that's also because ofthe damn piles!!

Eternal, I'm exactly the same, couldn't get comfy to BF so am having to FF. It's lovely as it means OH can help, I just wish ppl would stop asking if/when I'm going to attempt to BF again.

I also like FF as it means I can take as many painkillers as I want!!

8. soootired

soootired Well-Known Member

Hi as above with the pain i only had a slight tear and had to sit in the bath to pee for a couple of weeks. I had a really dull ache pressure type pain to. Also want to add that my piles were bad too, never thought they would go naturally but they did after a month.

9. passengerrach

passengerrach mummy to kai

hiya hun i just thought id let you know might not be relevant though but i only had 2 internal stitches and the pin was unbearably bad when i went for a wee i had to go in the bath and even then it was pure agony and i could barely walk after in the back of my mind i thought this cant be normal but because it was my first baby i had no idea but a week later i had a bit of placenta come away (tmi) that had been left behind and the pain was instantly gone so i just wrote this to let you know that if you feel that something is not right then speak to your midwife i wish i had my first week would have been a hell of a lot better

10. Kte

Kte Mummy to Chloe & Sophie

Drinking lots helps your no 2's too, pleantly of fresh fruit and veg they say, I have been eating lots or oranges at the mo! I have an anal fissure (tear) which I was never warned you can get after pregnancy, they like to leave those details out don't they! I also have lactulose and Fyborlyte to help keep my no 2's soft. If you haven't already get to the docs and they can prescribe some lactulose for you and most prob some nice pain relief creams to apply for your piles.

:hugs: hpe you start to feel better soon :flower:

11. philly_bear24

philly_bear24 Mummy to Imogen

I felt exactly the same but it DOES get better. After about 6 weeks my episiotomy stitches were all better too.

12. Boomerslady

Thanks for replying everyone :)

I called the out of hours doc yesterday who pescribed me sone proper cream for the piles and some stool softeners too (I don't really want to leave the house now, just in case!!). They have shrunk to half the size already, I'm soo happy!!

It has made me realise though that most of the pain is from my stitches, but mainly my lower back.....it really hurts!!

The pain in my back is nowhere near where the epi needle went in, it's a lot lower, like the top of my bum!! The only seat in the house I can sit down in (cause of stitches) makes it so much worse, it's a vicious circle!

I'm going to take it one step at a time thouh!!

13. angie0235

angie0235 Well-Known Member

giving birth is not like it is on the tv is it????
    I had similar problems and sat on cushions for a few days. The only thing that was blooming was my piles!!!!
    Hang in there and congratulations! Well done you xxx

14. a_c

a_c mummy to one

hi all - i've popped in from ttc for a look so what do I really know but still... it sounds like you are all doing brilliantly given the pain and uncomfortableness. Hang on it there it will improve I am sure of it. xx

15. puppycat

puppycat Mum & PAL

Boomers I am sorry to tell you but I only stopped weeing in the bath at about 4 weeks past birth, it's a good idea to run a bath and put a bit of salt in the water, that has healing properties and you can give the undercarriage a nice swill at the same time. It is important to keep it clean and change your pad often, also putting some distilled witch hazel on your maternity pad works wonders. It does get better in time but it does seem hopeless when you're in the thick of it.

Oh and the piles will hopefully disappear, just remember to keep doing your pelvic floor exercises xx

16. pheobe

pheobe Well-Known Member

Once the piles have stopped causing pain & you can sit on the loo try this......Firstly clean your stitches at least 4 times a day with warm water and simple soap - this as well as 2 baths a day. (For cleaning the stitches I kept a small bowl in the bathroom that I could fill up & squat over)

When you need to pee run a bath sponge under the cold tap so that it's full of really cold water, then hold it against your stitches for a couple of seconds. As you pee press the sponge against you so the pee and cold water run through it. I worked this out on about day 3 after nearly crying every time I needed to pee.....saved my sanity I tell ya!!! It's gross I know but the difference it will make is sooo worth it - Also I had really bad 2nd degree tear all the way from front to back but after starting this routine it only took a few days for the pain to go away & by day 14 I realised the stitches hadn't bothered me for days & they still haven't!!!!

good luck xxx