OH question once had baby...

xloulabellex

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Say you have to stay overnight or something after giving birth..

Does the OH have to go home or can they stay with you?

Do people go home the same day as giving birth (providing all seems okay) or do they have to stay for a night?

I don't know much about labour etc...

xxx

I don't know about the UK, but in the US just about all birthing suites have daybeds for OH to sleep on. And they do make you stay for at least a night so they can monitor you, or longer if there are complications. But again, might be different where you are...

if you and baby are all ok i think u can go home as soon as 6 hours after birth, when i give birth to my son it was at 10pm so i was put on a ward and my mum was sent home so i was left there a lil 18year old all on my own with a new baby.....scary stuff lol this time round im prayin to have baby in the am and get out of hospital asap xx

Hiya hun,well i went home 12 hours after giving birth as it all went well and i was happy o go home...if i was gonna stay in my hubby had to go home as its not fair on the other mummys in there with him there...you have so much support from the midwifes tho so hubby not being there will be hard but u will be fine xxx

I'm expecting #1 but my midwife said it's not uncommon for you to be allowed home the same day. However, I have no idea actually how common it is for this to happen...xox

aswell wen u are in labour, if ur not progressing enough and its not visitin hours, they'll kick ur Oh out and ull be left on ur own aswell until ur ready to go and then they'll fone ur OH to come bk, wish our hospitals were more like the us x

As long as all went ok you can leave after 6 hours but if after the 6 hours is a reasonable time tho lol and not at like 11 pm or sumfing. and both you and baby have had a wee n babys fed n had a poo! lol nice

Noirin seriously? That is terrible! I had no idea hubby was only allowed to be there during visiting hours unless you are actually pushing! I am appalled!

My hospital has sleeping facilities for partners only if you book a private room at $800 per night. Whilst I'm not sure that I'd want to part with that much cash but am considering it for my own privacy, I'm sending DH home! My hospital has a policy of keeping first time mums in for two nights :( When I get discharged, I want him to be properly rested so that he can help take care of the baby properly and I know he won't sleep properly in a hospital bed- it won't be productive for both of us to be exhausted because we have noone else to help us- all of our family ate overseas!

I think it varies from hospital to hospital in the UK. My sis recently gave birth in a birthing suite in London and her husband was allowed to stay with her the whole time, not just for visiting hours. This was an NHS hospital. The same allowance was made for another member of my family who had her baby in a birmingham NHS hospital.

i had olivia at 9.28pm and was moved to the ward at 11pm, oh was asked to leave at 11.15pm.
i would of liked to of gone straight home but i had been induced due to pre eclampsia so was in hospital for a few days after x

In the US we get private birthing suites on the maternity ward and there is usually a fold out sofa that turns into a bed for the father to stay on if he wishes. My DD stayed with me both nights - and will this time as well.

In the US we are required to stay 48 hours after a vaginal birth (uncomplicated) and up to 96 hours for a cesarian. You can be released early with a doctor's permission though. I'll probably just stay though. I enjoyed my last hospital stay for the most part - up until they had to move me out of the birthing suite to this tiny room on my last day there - then I couldn't wait to leave!

But I am sure all of this is different for the UK - just putting the info up for anyone in the US who is curious. Of course you should call the hospital you plan on going to or wherever it is you plan on giving birth and I am sure they will give you all of the details.

Wow, okay thanks guys! tbh I thought the dad would be allowed to stay there, regardless of visiting hours etc..

Thanks for the info! xx

Wow noirin where do u live? its definately not like that here..!!! OH stayed with me all night when i was labouring from 130am to 8am when he was born. We moved hospitals at 11am and OH stayed with me till 9pm when they had to kick out partners haha but i had to stay as baby didnt feed or poo :( went home by 11 the next morning tho so wasnt too bad at all

in the uk, if you have the baby in the AM you could be let you in the PM (if no complications) but if you have baby in the PM you have to stay overnight. obviously longer if you have c-section.
when my mum gave birth she had to stay over night and Partners were sent home, because there was no room as you were on a ward with other mums, but a new hospital has just opened by me and you have your own room once the baby is born so i think maybe OH's are aloud to stay over night.

I stayed in for 5 days as I had a c section so that's not the norm. But during my labour (before my emcs) my husband and mum were with me the whole time. My husband came into theatre with me and him and my mum both stayed with me while I was in recovery until I was taken upto the ward. By this time it was nearly 2am and them coming up onto the ward wouldn't be very considerate to the other mums trying to sleep.

My husband was allowed back in from 8am the next morning right throughtil 8pm but then he had to go home.

My friends however that have had their babies at a different hospital didn't have their oh's with them a lot of the time. I think a lot of the time it depends on the time of day you give birth. One of my friends went in at 9pm, her husband was allowed with her til 10pm then was sent home untilshe was further along. They rang him when she was just about ready to push! He arrived just in time to see the baby born! This has happened to a few people I know.

As for the staying in etc again I think it depends on the time of day, my friends that have given birth in the afternoon and evening have stayed in overnight and left the next day but others I know that have given birthin the morning have been home later that day.

X

Well I had my son at 9.03pm and was back home at 2 in the morning, think it all depends on the labour,baby,hosp etc x

Well I had my son at 9.03pm and was back home at 2 in the morning, think it all depends on the labour,baby,hosp etc x

Wow really? 2am is late.. at least they let you go home!

I wonder what it's like here.. hmm..

Do you think that if the hospital has single rooms the OH is allowed to stay throughout? I can understand him being sent home after the birth when baby and mum need to sleep and there is no room for him. But what I find so shocking is that they send him home until the mum is about to push!

My O/h stayed with me from 10 pm on a Saturday night till 10pm on a Sunday after noon when i had our 1st son who cam at 2pm that afternoon :) there's noway the hospital i was at would have sent o/h home this is really bad in my opinion!! they never no how quickly things can change xx

I'm not sure what the criteria is for allowing oh's to stay the whole way through. It just seems that it varies from hospital to hospital. I delivered at gloucester hospital and they were fantastic at letting my oh stay throughout.

But the hospital where my friends have had partners sent home until they were progressed further is Southmead hospital in Bristol. They were all in a private delivery suite at the time so I don't know why their oh's were sent home but it's not just an isolated case, all my friends that have had babies their in the evening/overnight have had this happen. One of my friends said she cried and cried her eyes out to the midwives begging them not to send her husband home, her husband was begging to stay but they still sent him home then just told her to try and rest or have a bath til it was nearer the time!

This is the only hospital in my area where I've heard of this happening though so I'd say it's pretty rare!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->