Oily spot on baby's eye?

Andi86

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I've noticed this a few times now when feeding my LO. He has a spot that covers from the bottom of his pupil to the bottom eyelid that looks oily/rainbowish. Best way I can describe it is it looks like oil on water. Its only on his left eye. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I know he can see, as he smiles/laughs at people, follows objects, and is always looking around the room. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is something to be concered of? has anyone else noticed this on their baby's eyes? I'm just concerned maybe its effecting his vision in that eye. I will mention it to the doctor at our next appointment.

Could it be coloboma? Can you get a photo of it?

no it doesn't look like that...it looks more like its on the eyeball. Have you ever seen gasoline in a puddle of water outside? looks rainbowish as it seperates? well it looks like that but on his eyeball. Its hard to take a pic of it because you have to look closely to see it and be in good lighting to even notice it.

Yeah, what you described is exactly how I imagined it to look lol, my suggestion was a long shot really!

I wonder what it could be? I would assume if it doesn't cover his pupil then it is unlikely to cause a problem ... please update if you find out what it is though, it sounds very unusual! :)

This is all I could find online besides other moms asking the same question...

https://eyesee-eyetalk.blogspot.ca/2012/04/1210-rainbow-in-eye.html?m=1

in the comments section it sounds like its nothing to worry about but I don't know how reliable the source is...so im still going to ask next time i take him for a check up.

Wow ... well it sounds very positive, assuming the source IS correct, but as you say, you can't know for sure. I would imagine it's true and your baby is fine, but I know how easy it is to worry about every little random thing. A couple of months ago I noticed that my LO's eyes have a sort of grey/blue tint towards the corners and totally freaked myself out that she had some horrible brittle bone disease that I found on Google, which has grey-blue eyeballs as a symptom.

Then I found a thread with loads of other mums discussing their babies, who all had the same thing, and it turned out that the top layer of their eyeballs is thinner to begin with, so you can see the underlying tissue showing through, or something to that effect ... I was very relieved. :haha:

I'm going to try to find rainbows in her eyes now. The picture actually looks quite beautiful. :)

So how your baby now? I also get the same problem. Now my baby is 11weeks, his eyes still don't focus nor follow the moved object. I really hope he can see clearly before check up 12weeks.. It's really disheartened when he doesn't smile as his eyes still not well developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->