Old Period Blood?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by CouldThisBeIt, Mar 31, 2011.

1. CouldThisBeIt

CouldThisBeIt Mum of 1 and 1 on the way

A friend who is 14 weeks pregnant has been bleeding quite a lot. At her scan, she was told that the baby has stretched her uterus and caused it to release old period blood?! The blood was bright red, not old and brown.

Thoughts please? Seems a little odd to me.

2. scots_mum

scots_mum Expecting no2

Not sure but i had a big bleed at 11+4 (thought i was 12w) and baby was fine on scan, no real reason was found for bleed but an area of blood could be seen on the scan, sometimes you can just bleed, hope all is ok for your friend

3. LittleStars

LittleStars Mum to 3 beautiful girls!

I have a subchorionic hemorrhage of unexplained origin. Your friend's bleed sounds more like this. Who knows though. Maybe she isn't giving you all the details or the doctor doesn't want to scre her before he's investigated properly. Has she had a scan since the bleeding?

4. CouldThisBeIt

CouldThisBeIt Mum of 1 and 1 on the way

This all happened on Monday, so only the one. They don't plan to investigate further either, despite her having three miscarriages in the past either. I agree it sounds like a subchorionic hematoma-I had one myself with my first child. Thanks for answering!