old thread

One of my really good friends had one. She had it done on the NHS as she was obese. Bless her she really did't think she would come out alive but she did...i went to see her after the op and bless her she was just sobbing holding a oxygen mask saying she couldn't breath properly...she was a emotional wreck as expected i guess...going through a major surgery anyone would be...i remember she was only aloud to eat a teaspoon of food at first which she found super difficult as she loves her food...when time went on i think she would forget about the op and eat a whole pizza box like she used to and guess what...2mins later there would be vomit all over the floor:sick:...but now its been over a year and slowly but gradually she has lost 10stones:)

Are you planning on having one?? Lol...that sounds so rude!!!

wow....10 stones, thats fab, i bet she feels and looks great.

I have asked my GP for one, about a year ago, but he fobbed me off at the time, but im thinking of asking again.

What area does ur friend live in?

I haven't had a gastric band but had a gastric bypass. I lost 10.5 stone although have put some on since having Theo. I know quite a lot of people who have had the band and have heard mixed stories. Some haven't lost any or much and others have lost loads. I think it takes a lot of hard work but can work really well.

My friend lives in West Yorkshire hun...Dewsbury area...xx

I don't know anyone who's had one, but I've read somewhere about a lady who put weight back on after she lost it with a band?

Good luck if you do decide to have one babe xx

i was talking about this to my oh the other day..i have struggled all my life with my weight and feel like im loosing the battle even mroe so after tommy...does anyone know what the criteria is to have such an operation on the nhs as in how obese you have to be what your bmi has to be etc etc as i would dearly love one *thats sound awful* but i didnt realise you could have such a thing done on the nhs

h x

Bigbelly2 - To be considered for one on the NHS your BMI must be 40 or over, or between 30-40 if you have other illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease or high blood pressure.

You must also have tried everything else, weight loss tablets, dietician appointments, diets and exercise. And even if your GP agrees, you PCT has to agree to fund it, as its assessed individually.

Its not easy to get, and i think thats why my GP fobbed me off, plus my depression was bad at the time. But if you think its for you, do some research first, and then speak to ur GP ~ good luck!

I dont like the idea of a gastric bypass, cos its a much more serious op, and the results are permanent. Emmajane...did u originally go for a band and were told u had to have a bypass? and do u mind me asking what u weighed b4? PM me if u like xx

Don't mean to put a bad word in here but my Mam's friend was clinically obese, she went in for the Op and died on the operating table.

But as with every operation, there are risks involved. If you can lose weight without it, it is better than taking the risk and getting it done. But I truly believe that some people are better off taking the risk as their quality of life would be much much better, i know my mother's would be but because she had her friend die, she will not take the op.

:hugs:

OMG amy tea thats awful...you hear things like that happening but for some reason it doesn't ever seem real x

Thanks for that amy, i did ask for negative stories, but it kinda frightens me to hear it. I have a lil boy who needs his mum, but i am clinically obese, im too embaressed to say how much, and im frightened that i wont see him grow up.
Its not as simple as going on a diet. If i had just 3-4 stones to lose that wouldnt be so bad, but add 10 to that and its impossible. I just dont know what to do for the best :cry:

My grandmother was obese, and she had the gastric bypass, and it worked great for her... I don't know anyone whose had the band.
Also am not sure how it works to get covered for it, I know here in Ontario, Canada it can be covered if you've put effort in to fix it, and if nothing else has worked. BUt you have to have a doctor willing to work at it.

I wish I knew something else to suggest for you that wasn't so serious of a surgery.

Thanks everyone, i may see about some tablets 1st, but i reckon it'd have to be a miracle!! xx

I know someone who had a band done & he hated it. He loved his food & found it really distressing when he couldn't eat what he wanted too

One chicken nugget & that was dinner for him

He had his done privately & said it was a waste of money

Just wondered if anyone has had a gastric band, or if they knew anyone who's had it?

Any stories on it, positive and negative....and did they have it done on the NHS?

I had a gastric band fitted last sunday. What do you want to know ??

HAHA :rofl:

aw, are you glad you got it done now?

Did you get anywhere with the request? or tablets?

I had weighed alot since I was 11. Went through yo yo diets, curbing, tablets, slim fast, weight watchers, nothing worked as I have no will power .
I needed something DRASTIC and physical to stop me overeating.
I sold my house and bought another but with the quity i also bought myself a gastric band.
i had it done in march 2006. by feb 2008 I had lost 10 stone and weighed 8 stoe but was too skinny for me to accept so had the restriction loosened slightly and was able to put on about a stone or two which I felt alot better about.
I am a healthy size 10-12 now.
then i fell pregnant unbeknown to me was 16 weeks preggers whilst waiting for a tummy tuck the NHS agreed to do!
so that waited, had mylo, then in may this year had my TT.
It leaves ALOT of skin.. and even though you are leaving the struggle to find nice clothes to fit behind you, then you have a new dilemma.. how do I hide all my hanging skin in the smaller clothes.
It isnt a quick fix.. but was the only option for me. I dont regret it one bit. I cant eat as much as others and sometimes I get a build up of chewed food in my throat that I have to quickly'get rid of' :)sick:) or I feel overwhelming pain.
My sister had one too but hers was doe differntly to mine and it failed two years ago. she piled on all her weight again then saved for the new op.. the 'sleeve'.
If I were you.. I would ask for the sleeve or save for that instead as there are no risks of it breaking cos they permanently change your anatomy.. where as the gastric band they dont. the sleeve is apparently the first stage of the bypass.

Anyways.. I started a thread on cosmetic surgery, you can see before and after pics of me..

https://www.babyandbump.com/beauty-...read-weight-loss-ops-nose-jobs-lets-chat.html

I am a transformed woman!

https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/Tsia%20before%20fat%20pics/Tsiafat5.jpg

me now..

https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/Tsia%20after%20transformation%20pics/tsia4.jpg

my surgery was with Hospital group and cost £8k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->