Older sibling finding out about baby

northern_me

Reaction score
Hi,

So we told my family already and told my 5.5 year old as well. We weighed it out and decided we wanted her part of it all, no matter how early. She is a very "mature" 5 year old and usually handles things well. She has been asking for a sibling for years now so we thought she would be excited.

She is excited and has lots of questions and is already coming to lay down with her head on my stomach. However, she has become exceptionally clingy. She is refusing to even move from one room to another if I don't do it with her. She won't even go pee if I don't take her to the washroom. I'm assuming this is just a stage, but does anyone else have any experience with this and how long can I expect this to last? She isn't normally clingy at all, in fact she is normally very independent.

I think sometimes even when it's a good thing happening, it's still a change, and young children often don't know how to necessarily interpret exactly what they are feeling. So, they many revert to doing what feels comforting to them. I think it will pass as time goes on. I would say not to encourage it, but reinforce ( not force) her natural independence . Congrats and. H&h nine mos!!

Thanks. You're probably right. I think she may be a little anxious over what that means for her.

We told Connor from day 1 (he's 3, nearly 4). He's also very excited, but like your child, has become very clingy. I think it must be a huge thing for them, they are aware of more than we realise :)

yeah it happens and its entirely normal, my youngest 2 probably don't realise but they definately are more clingy since i got pregnant than previously and the older 2 are sticking closer to me and DH as well

We told our son right away, hes not anymore clingy but he is very curious on what will and won't change after baby

I sometimes wonder too if it's partially an innate thing. We have not told our 2.5 year old but she's been more clingy than usual from day one. It's getting a little better in time though I am expecting a relapse when we do tell her. She's normally very independent but has just been a bit less willing to do her own thing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->