Older sibling in delivery room?

JoHio

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has had an older sibling in the delivery room and if so, what the experience for you and your child was like?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I didn't want to read and run, currently here in the UK no under 18's are allowed into the maternity hospital where i live.

I'd love for my little ones to be able to visit me and baby in the hospital.

I had a home birth with my third with both of my older children (2y9m and 4) present at home throughout labour and one or both of them were present for the actual birth. They were enamoured with the baby right from the get go. Lots of time watching birth videos together and talking about what it would be like I believe really helped them be prepared. And also having an adult who can take them out of the room if it is making them distressed.
But as the previous poster said, you will need to find out what restrictions may be in place currently with covid

I think it depends on the age and the demeanor of the older sibling as to how they will react to watching their mother in pain and baby being born.

However, have you checked in with your hospitals Covid protocols? Because here in California, no one under the age of 18 is allowed in the rooms at this time.

I wouldn't have had mine in there as she's very sensitive and would have panicked. With a calmer and older child I might have done.

Thanks everyone! I’m not actually pregnant yet (TTC) but my 10 year old was asking if she could be present and I was curious about the experiences of others.

I think I’m most worried about my comfort level, to be honest. I have four kids, and without exception, with every delivery, whether it was a doctor or midwife, I wanted everyone to leave me alone and just let me do what I needed to do.

As one poster said, I’d definitely want another adult there to care for her because I wouldn’t have the bandwidth. And I’d feel terrible about it.

Your answers have given me much to think about! Again, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->